Will the Pandora's battery issue still be around in the Pyra?

Kelvin

Pixel Mercenary
Website
www.kelvinshadewing.net
I wanna make sure of this, because it's something that bugs me. Basically, both the Pandora's I've owned have had this weird issue where when it reached full charge, it would stop charging and just allow itself to drain, which meant that if I wanted it to stay full, I either had to turn it off as it got full, or run it just hard enough that it would keep drawing power even after reaching 100%.

Hmm that issue was supposed to have been fixed in update long ago.

It will discharge by default to a set amount, before it starts charging it again, to avoid cooking the battery. But yeah, an update a year or so back fixed the odd bug and made it more configurable. I think mine is currently configured to go down to 80% before starting charging again, but I dunno if that's the default any more.

Hmm that issue was supposed to have been fixed in update long ago.
I've had it happen twice since it was "fixed" where it reaches full power and then starts discharging to death; not sure what caused it, can't reproduce it, it just happens that it fails to start charging when it should. I caught it both times under 50% remaining. Normal order of things these days is for it to sit plugged in beside my bed 24/7 and in the last 8 months it maintains a steady 90+% charge (minus the two times where it didn't).

edit: That being said, to the original point, the new charge chip is seemingly better and might be able to do proper dynamic load charging so wouldn't need any software fixes. And even if it can't, the charging issues are so rare now that for OP to have this problem "repeatedly" suggests they haven't updated and they'll be much happier when they have.

I think ED recently mentioned that the Pyra's can run on external power alone (if enough power is provided) independent of battery presence or charge state.

I've had it happen twice since it was "fixed" where it reaches full power and then starts discharging to death; not sure what caused it, can't reproduce it, it just happens that it fails to start charging when it should. I caught it both times under 50% remaining. Normal order of things these days is for it to sit plugged in beside my bed 24/7 and in the last 8 months it maintains a steady 90+% charge (minus the two times where it didn't).

edit: That being said, to the original point, the new charge chip is seemingly better and might be able to do proper dynamic load charging so wouldn't need any software fixes. And even if it can't, the charging issues are so rare now that for OP to have this problem "repeatedly" suggests they haven't updated and they'll be much happier when they have.

if you mean running the OS update, I have done that.

The only other thing I can think of is that it won't charge if it detects it can't pull enough current off the charger: try a different charger. Maybe the one you've got has gotten old and worn down and heats up too much to produce the required amps. You can get an official PSP charger (which should definitely work) for, like, $5, so it's a fairly cheap thing to try.

Back