Will the Pyra be good for schoolwork? (and other questions)

Spirit

So, I want a Pyra when it releases, but I can't get it and a laptop for school. I was wondering, will it be a good device for schoolwork? I am sure it will have LibreOffice, and it could use Blackboard (schoolwork website). Will it be able to print? I know it's a silly type of question, but it is essentially a micro-PC, so I was just curious.

Also, if I wanted to would I be able to install Windows onto it and it still work properly? And, given the required specs, could it run games from Steam?

Well I'm not EvilDragon, but not every question needs to be put past him.

So, I want a Pyra when it releases, but I can't get it and a laptop for school. I was wondering, will it be a good device for schoolwork? I am sure it will have LibreOffice, and it could use Blackboard (schoolwork website). Will it be able to print? I know it's a silly type of question, but it is essentially a micro-PC, so I was just curious.
Well that type of work is one of the things I will be doing with it, LibreOffice is available and a lot of other Linux productivity software as well.  It having an HDMI output makes it ideal to work on things on the go, but when you get home, just hitch it to a monitor and keyboard and resume work on a big screen. 

Also, if I wanted to would I be able to install Windows onto it and it still work properly? And, given the required specs, could it run games from Steam?

Windows and Steam require an x86 based processor, such as an AMD or Intel solution. The Pyra will be using a Ti OMAP5 SoC it's a dual core ARM A15 processor. It can't run Windows without some slow emulation methods. I have had some success getting steam (x86 Linux version) running on the OMAP5 Development board, but with slow x86 emulation I'm not entirely sure Windows or Linux games made past the early 2000's will be all that playable. What I'm hoping for is that when we get 3D acceleration working, Steam's In House streaming will be playable allowing Windows games to be streamed to the Pyra. As of right now it's kind of a slideshow. 

Mind my stammering in this video, I tend to go on. Also as stated before (3D acceleration isn't working so things will be sluggish). 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/T-pPkpIDNnM?feature=oembed

Edit: fixed some sentence flow, which made things a tad confusing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I use my Pandora for university work. It works but it is slower since it has less cpu power and a smaller display / keyboard then a real laptop. But you can carry it around easily, I often keep it around with me all the time, like a smartphone.

I would recommend you, get a real laptop for your school work, if you have to type a long text, you are way faster with a real keyboard.  If you want a cheap notebook, you can get this one for 250€ (around 275$):

http://geizhals.at/de/hp-355-g2-j0y61ea-a1186439.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

This one for 300€ (its the same netbook but the cpu is 4x2.0 instead of 4x1.8):

http://geizhals.at/de/hp-355-g2-k7h44es-a1169614.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

This video was captures with a device like the 300€ (330$) laptop:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mTk4jy7BLnA?feature=oembed

It is fast enough for some games (Skyrim works), but not the latest, highquality ones. Maybe with a cheap notebook you can get a pyra too.

FPS: 17-23 while recording (29-45 without recording but averages 30 fps)
Settings: All Low EXCEPT High textures, FXAA, Fullscreen 1280x720

Well, I've written quite a bit of documents on my Pandora, I've even logged 6 hours of work on it one day when I was working remotely, my laptop battery died and I accidentally left the charger at work. It CAN be used for these tasks, it's not ideal for some. At work I use the Pandora for note taking and miscellaneous administration work, like log into a Linux box and check if my scripts kicked off properly and such. 

I will be attending a community college for network administration. This will consist of various computer based classes and general education such as English, mathematics, and psychology. After two years I will transfer to a university for a four year degree. Could one use an external keyboard on a Pyra? If so I could just carry that in my pack and plug it into the Pyra when I need to type notes. I will likely use a smartpen in College Algebra so that I can record my professor at the same time cuz math is hard >.<

Other than that I would just type papers for homework I suppose, or use my desktop for that when I get home.

And streaming Windows games to the Pyra would be pretty cool. That way I can play in my bedroom :D

The Pyra will have a couple Regular USB ports, it will also have Bluetooth. So Keyboard and Mice should be fairly easy to get working. 

Awesome! hopefully it will make an excellent schoolwork machine. And everyone will say, "Wow that's a small computer." and I'm like, "Yea it's really handy!"

And to the lad or lass that provided me with good laptops, thanks! I might not use it for school or gaming ,as I have a nice tower for that, I may use it for various other activities like editing Youtube videos or helping with a livestream.

Now then. Can it print? With a wireless printer or a USB printer?

Now then. Can it print? With a wireless printer or a USB printer?
If the said printer is supported in Linux then sure. Most major printer companies have working drivers in Linux. However the quirkyness of using an ARM based processor in the Pyra may complicate using proprietary printer drivers.

Sweet sauce! I love this device more and more every time I get an answer :D and it's not even being sold yet.

FWIW, I seem to recall that canon offer source tarballs for their linux drivers so theoretically, it should be possible compile the drivers needed to print to a recent model canon printer.

Last I looked Lexxmark printers were akin to expensive paperweights when connected to a linux box. That might have changed in the last couple of years but I haven't had any reason to check.

- Neelix

I have used my CC Pandora for a variety of assignments.  I agree with rohezal, it is a bit unpleasant to do a lot of text, but anything less than a good quality full size desktop keyboard is going to be a bit weak there.  The Pyra keyboard should be an improvement over the one on the Pandora.

It really comes down to the type of stuff you need to do.  For me it has worked great for some things and is impossible to use for others.  The same would be true if I had the Pyra, and some things would still not work for me without a good modern laptop or better.  I remember one assignment where I needed 3 Windows VMs, at least one was a server, and a single one of the computers in the lab could not be used to complete it.  The Pandora is pretty capable, and the Pyra will be better, but, as was said before, it won't work for Windows.

It should work for many things you need to do.  I am a bit difficult, and refuse to use certain OSs and software on my personal stuff, and have only had a  handful of classes where this was an issue (a couple Windows classes, a "programming" class that requires Alice that I didn't bother looking into installing on my Pandora, and a database class that is based on Access).  Some of my classes required assignments to be completed in class for a variety of reasons, but a Pandora worked for many assignments in those classes (Linux and security classes).  I also have a laptop I use, and I tend to turn to that if it is available, but I have been using my Pandora quite a bit recently, but mostly for research and testing things.

My Algebra or Calculus or whatever was pretty painful, as these things always have been for me.  I did need to buy a proper calculator since it would be needed for tests/exams.  I see no reason why LibreOffice wouldn't work for your English class.

As for reactions, some people think it is a DS, some people get that it is a computer and think it is cool (I doubt anyone bought one), and a few see it and think it is a good idea, but don't really get into it.  Most people don't ask or say anything about it.

I have never needed to print from my Pandora since all of my assignments have either been turned in through Blackboard or were handwritten.  You can always use a usb drive to take files to a computer connected to the printer.

I have also used my Pandora for ebooks.

Please consider that school and University may require Closed source and Windows only programs.

I did study Psychology for 3 years now and Pandora was my main tool (besides a Linux Laptop)

Power won't be a problem any more but some things you have to consider:

1: Laptop can give you 2 screens with an external Monitor.

It is really useful if you do write longer texts and make presentations.

2: The closed source windows problem.

3: The lack of acceptance and support.

In my University and subject I was on my own.

A lot of people did upload documents as .docx and .pptx instead of .pdf.

Linux can open it but might crash some formating.

Linux way is the hard way.

4: No portable big screen and Keyboard

Laptop might be a lot better to work with groups

5: No VGA

I hate that to be stuck with old technology but in my University I had to use VGA for my presentations.

Pyra won't have it. And believe me, you'll do a lot of presentations at University.

(DisplayLink or Converter will solve that problem)

Now the benefits:

1: Always everything :)

There is a big chance that University is more pretty modern and you'll get a lot as .pdf.

So when you have your Pyra you have your Games, music, texts, simply everything always with you.

Sit in the train? Read some texts and take Notes (I did it and it worked out nicely. Alt + TAB let's you cycle between windows really fast and easy).

Storage is no problem.

A Laptop might not be with you all the time.

2: Battery

Will not run out

3: Great to take notes and study

In University I never did print one page to learn from.

We got all the presentations from the teachers before the lesson.

I did take notes with my Pandora (annotate PDF. Easy and fast with Xournal).

Afterwards I could go out and learn wherever I wanted.

With the touchscreen and keyboard it's possible to annotate free lines and write with nicely readable computer letters.

That's my experience.

Because of the 2 screen issue (you can use 2 with Display Link. I use HDMI with Pandora via USB) and the Windows domination I would not use Pyra as my only device.

If your School/University will not accept your Linux programs you're lost (Exagear and Wine can not replace full Windows)

Pyra will be great for (I guess) 80-90% of what you need it for but the last 10-20% might make it useless for you.

Maybe wait and see what's possible with it.

1: Laptop can give you 2 screens with an external Monitor. It is really useful if you do write longer texts and make presentations.
The Pyra will allow you to drive a monitor as well, just like a regular laptop...

I will be attending a community college for network administration. This will consist of various computer based classes and general education such as English, mathematics, and psychology. After two years I will transfer to a university for a four year degree. Could one use an external keyboard on a Pyra? If so I could just carry that in my pack and plug it into the Pyra when I need to type notes. I will likely use a smartpen in College Algebra so that I can record my professor at the same time cuz math is hard >.<

Other than that I would just type papers for homework I suppose, or use my desktop for that when I get home.

And streaming Windows games to the Pyra would be pretty cool. That way I can play in my bedroom :D
Not to dissuade you Spirit, but Askarus and the others make some great points here which you should cautiously pay heed to. It cannot be stressed enough that of utmost importance is the fact you're in College to work not to play. While the Pandora and the Pyra can do both with aplomb, I've seen so many young people who attend University, become bridled with distractions, and lose their focus.

Unfortunately, there's a massive student failure rate in these institutions whether by drop outs or with those who laboriously persevere to an immaterial degree. Only after you've attended for awhile will you know the proper tools you'll need, for your future.

If you do decide a Pyra will be in your situation advantageous then I suggest one of these portable keyboards for long typing sessions: http://www.amazon.com/GEYES-Folding-keyboard-Laptop-portable/dp/B0072812F0

Work hard.

Thank you for caring :D don't worry though. This is my future and I dare not let myself down.

3: The lack of acceptance and support. In my University and subject I was on my own. A lot of people did upload documents as .docx and .pptx instead of .pdf. Linux can open it but might crash some formating. Linux way is the hard way.
I turn in most of my assignments as .odt or one of the proprietary Microsoft formats.  If you explain that you are not using Windows they will most likely be ok with it, especially at a community college.  I prefer OpenDocument, and talk to the instructors before turning anything in to explain that using .doc/.docx may break things.  Actually, it is Microsoft Office that seems to break things the most, since I had documents from Microsoft that needed to have screenshots and answers to questions added, and they often looked horrible when I tried to do that.  Slide shows may be a problem, but it only seemed to be in one psychology class, and I think I either installed LibreOffice on the computer we used to present, or I checked it in MS Office prior to presenting, and fixed a couple things.  Slides have always been the things that get the most messed up for me.

Not to dissuade you Spirit, but Askarus and the others make some great points here which you should cautiously pay heed to. It cannot be stressed enough that of utmost importance is the fact you're in College to work not to play.
Exactly.  Based on the program of study it is very beneficial to develop your troubleshooting skills, and expose yourself to things you might encounter in your studies and your future career.  Because most people at my college are so intimidated by Linux, and doing things that they have never done before, a lot of people never understand what they are doing and rely on other to get them through their classes.  I know a few people that have had to take basic introduction level classes multiple times and still don't have a clue.  I know others who are supposed to be graduating soon and still have no troubleshooting skills.  These are major problems.  Yes, the Pyra may be a distraction, but those distractions are extremely valuable in relation to your studies.  I spend 20 or 30 hours a week helping others develop those skills, or show them how to find the answers.  I think at least two Linux classes are required for all IT degrees at my college, and many classes in some programs require Linux for assignments.  This is why I suggest finding out what you will need to do.  If you ask someone what to buy they will most likely tell you to get a recent laptop with Windows, because it is the familiar choice.  I recommend getting whatever hardware will work best for you, and not going for Windows.  If you need MS products they will probably be provided for you via DreamSpark or something (not much use on an ARM device, but you can use the computers they provide you, and make VMs...these may be required as a part of some of your classes).  Don't be afraid to ask for help, and make use of the resources (labs, computers, etc.) the school has to offer.  Remember, you are paying them to use these things.

While the Pandora and the Pyra can do both with aplomb, I've seen so many young people who attend University, become bridled with distractions, and lose their focus.
Take every opportunity to learn something new.  I don't think the problem is losing focus when the things you are being distracted by are directly related to what you are studying.  I believe this is actually called "learning" and "experience".

Another factor to consider...  When do classes start?  The Pyra is somewhere between 2 months and something much larger than 2 months from being available.

For a portable 'full size' keyboard, I have used this with my Pandora:

http://www.gearbest.com/mice-keyboards/pp_68097.html

It folds up to be smaller than the Pandora.

Printing can be a bit of a crap shoot.  On Linux HPLIPS can address almost any HP printer:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

Where you'll run into issues is with anything that isn't HP.  Cannon support was pretty bad.  Others can be non-existent.

Has anyone made an HPLIPS PND file yet?

Back