Will We Get An Equivalent To The Standard Linux "shift+Delete"

Prometheus

While I'm awaiting my Pandora's return, I've been spending some time ripping my DVD collection to an external hard disk drive, with the intent of copying files off of it and onto an SD Card dedicated to films and TV shows when I want to swap things around. This also requires deleting files from the card in order to make room.

However, a slight problem is currently present (or at least, it was when I sent my Pandora away!), due to "Shift + Delete" already being mapped to something else - it's not possible to insta-delete items off of the card, because they seem to get sent to the trash-bin on the NAND first.

I'm just wondering if there's going to be a new combination (or some other such thing) made available in the stock OS at some point, without having to resort to manually editing the Pandora's keymappings. (Or, alternatively, I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing, here. :p)

I fiddle about with right-clicking then hold shift once I have the context menu open... and then click delete... not ideal but it works...

I suppose the alternative would be to configure the bin to not hold anything and to insta delete everything.

I did two things. I swapped the move window command back to Alt. I also added a thunar custom action for permanent delete.

shift+del is impossible since del has been mapped onto shift+backspace. You could modify the keymap such that Fn+backspace becomes del and Fn+enter becomes insert (used to be Fn+backspace). Then you can do a shift+Fn+backspace for a shift+del.

Would like to know the answer too. It was discussed here but I haven't found a solution yet :( I don't like sending things to NAND at all

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to know how to do this also... I don't have a SD Reader at the moment and want to delete a large file without going to NAND

Poke's method works perfectly, for the record - I've been using it today. :)

Cool, I did try that but maybe while holding shift the whole time. Thanks, it will do till we have a better solution :)

Either shift will do. You can right-click the file, then hold shift, and click delete to bypass the trash bin.

I'm going to put this here:
To add a delete option to the right click menu in Thunar that by-passes the trash bin, and doesn't require you to hold shift or anything funny do the following:

1) Open thunar
2) Click Edit
3) Click Configure Custom Actions...
4) Click the green plus
5) Fill in the form:
name = Delete Permanently
description = Immediately delete the selected file(s) or folder(s), no questions asked, bypassing trash bin
command = rm -fr %F
5a) Assign an icon if you feel so inclined.
6) Click Appearance Options tab
7) fill in the form:
file pattern = *
8) Check all the boxes
9) Click OK
10) Click Close
11) Enjoy your new found file deletion powers.

If you want to go the extra mile you can create a shell script:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
zenity --question --text "rm selected files?"
if [ $? = 0 ]; then
   rm -fvr "$@"
fi
And assign it to the command line:
command = [path to script] %F
and now it will prompt you before clobbering the selected file(s) or folder(s).

heh.I just spent the last half hour figuring out how to assign the custom command you just described. you beat me to it :p

I can verify this method works perfectly

here's a link that describes the custom action plugin:
http://thunar.xfce.org/pwiki/documentation/custom_actions

[edit]whats the -fr do?

^ I've added it to the Tweak Thread :) Putting it in an extra thread in the software hacking forum would make sense, though.

mindlord said:
Either shift will do. You can right-click the file, then hold shift, and click delete to bypass the trash bin.

I'm going to put this here:
To add a delete option to the right click menu in Thunar that by-passes the trash bin, and doesn't require you to hold shift or anything funny do the following:

1) Open thunar
2) Click Edit
3) Click Configure Custom Actions...
4) Click the green plus
5) Fill in the form:
name = Delete Permanently
description = Immediately delete the selected file(s) or folder(s), no questions asked, bypassing trash bin
command = rm -fr %F
5a) Assign an icon if you feel so inclined.
6) Click Appearance Options tab
7) fill in the form:
file pattern = *
8) Check all the boxes
9) Click OK
10) Click Close
11) Enjoy your new found file deletion powers.

Cool. :) Nice things to try when I have my Pandora. Would be even better if ED could include this helpful script into the next Hotfix/update pack. ^^

This fix will still leave the shift+delete combination broken in every other application that uses it. If you use no such applications then you're fine, otherwise changing the key mapping is a better solution.

mindlord said:
If you want to go the extra mile you can create a shell script:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
zenity --question --text "rm selected files?"
if [ $? = 0 ]; then
   rm -fvr "$@"
fi
And assign it to the command line:
command = [path to script] %F
and now it will prompt you before clobbering the selected file(s) or folder(s).

This doesn't work for me. Nothing happens when I try to delete. I named the file prm.sh and put it in my ~. I tried for the command both ~/prm.sh and /home/my_user/prm.sh and neither worked.

-God Ginrai

Back