Will you sell the watchX in your shop?

Discussion in 'DragonBox Shop' started by xnopasaranx, Nov 27, 2018.

1. xnopasaranx

xnopasaranx Superbad!

Hi @EvilDragon
    I was looking for some sort of DIY smartwatch like device that could possibly be paired with a pyra and let me code my own interface for notifications etc.

Recently I was pointed to the watchX (http://watchx.io), which seems to be a reimplementation of the N|watch that they have already mass produced. Sadly it's only available through a turkish maker shop and they only accept credit card as payment.

I thought since the project is fully arduino compatible, supports scratch programs and some other nice OSS features, it might be perfect for the DragonBox shop.

If we can come up with some decent code for notifications, volume control etc., we might be able to use it as a pyra accessory very easily in the future and since it's arduino compatible, code will be reusable for similar applications with other arduino gadgets and projects.

How about it? Would you be willing to sell these in your shop? I have no idea on availability of that thing though :(

kuru likes this.
  2. klapse

klapse Central Scrutinizer

Does it have a low-power, always-on display?

3. xnopasaranx

xnopasaranx Superbad!

@klapse I don't really know if always on is a viable option yet. It has an OLED screen and the different firmwares that are out seem to support powersaving modes where only the rtc is drawing current, so you can always quickly check the time and the battery will last for months. I couldn't find out how long it lasts if the screen is always on, but I'll be sure to check and report when I receive it. They already sent me a tracking number but haven't dispatched the parcel yet.

4. PowerGod

PowerGod Advanced Member

Seems cool, but maybe a little too naked for a normal use case... I could destroy it in many ways before even realizing that it's broken...

kuru likes this.
  5. kuru

kuru Irate Pyrate

life hacks
    zoolander-david-duchovny.jpg

ClockworkCoder and rygD like this.
  6. xnopasaranx

xnopasaranx Superbad!

yeah I don't think it's that easy to break. A watch on your arm is somethinig you need to protect anyway. But you are supposed to print your own case for the watchX and use it as a basis for projects... that's the tradeoff, it's not an apple watch, but you get to solder stuff to it and program it without bigbrother.

7. Binky

Binky The Hogfather's Steed Staff Member

See, that's why you put your watch in your pocket, on the end of an ornamental chain.

Kids these days...