Windows 8 ARM on Pandora

Kajayacht

Still Fresh
First of all, I am NOT asking if it would be possible. Even on the 1Ghz units, I know that it wouldn't be powerful enough for a legitimate experience (maybe possibly someonthing like when people install new windows on way old PCs that barely can get it)

That being said;

In case you didn't know, Windows 8 has been written for x86 and ARM processors for low power tablets mainly.

If by some crazy feat of magic that it would be possible to run Windows 8 ARM on the Pandora, would you do it?

Why or why not?

Not feasible even on a 1Ghz Pandora (in terms of speed, I believe), but even if it were, not sure what is the point of it. It's a heavily touch oriented environment (and we already have Android), and there will be very few applications for the Windows 8 RT version at launch, since most apps from windows will have to be re-written for ARM and metro compatibility. Just look at the state of applications on Windows phones currently, there's like nothing compared to Android and iOS.

So, I am not sure what is the point to even have it, if we had the choice.

Anyway, you can forget about it, there will be no magic trick as Windows 8 RT will not be publicly distributed/sold, and will be heavily encrypted at boot level to prevent it from being copied. So only manufacturers partnering with Microsoft will be able to have it.

I wish .

Only because of Microsoft office and this stupid font my school requires for all major projects .

I wish .

Only because of Microsoft office and this stupid font my school requires for all major projects .

I dont think using Office on a device as small as Pandora would be very productive. It's clearly a desktop application.
Well , yes but I would probably just use the Microsoft office part .

I thought Ms insists that all devices running woa must not allow the use to run any other OS

Yup, just like Android / iOS devices - they have usually lock systems to prevent installation of other systems.
I would disagree with this statement, only because Win8 is the first MS OS to want to try and lockdown users. Saying usually, therefore, is incorrect

Yup, just like Android / iOS devices - they have usually lock systems to prevent installation of other systems.
I would disagree with this statement, only because Win8 is the first MS OS to want to try and lockdown users. Saying usually, therefore, is incorrect

I used "usually" to describe the common position of all systems included in phone/tablets - I was not talking about Microsoft specifically.

However I disagree with your statement as well. MS did mobile OSes before Windows RT (I used to have Windows CE PDA for many years) and these systems were heavily locked down (and not upgradable) as well - for most devices it was jsut impossible to install anything else, while it was possible on some HP iPAQ devices. So, in a way, Microsoft always had a similar position for "pure mobile" devices.

I'm pretty sure I could have reflashed any of my WinMobile and WinCE devices, but there weren't any actual alternatives about to flash too (or at least, I never found any, though to be fair, I never really looked).

Regardless of OS choice, you certainly weren't locked down. I remember browsing the entire filesystem copying files into and out of the \Windows folder. Maybe I just didn't delve as deep as you, but I never found any restriction

I'm pretty sure I could have reflashed any of my WinMobile and WinCE devices, but there weren't any actual alternatives about to flash too (or at least, I never found any, though to be fair, I never really looked).

You could flash a Linux install on iPAQ, there are probably still tutorials on how to do it online somewhere. But it was not possible on all devices (i checked at the time, since I was interested as one could not update WinCE!) - so it probably depends on what you had. Maybe it was not a Microsoft requirement at the time, but a manufacturer position. But some/most devices were certainly locked.

like every apple device??? i think the only new thing is that win8 for arm will come with a bootloader that won't let you install anything else...

From what I read the Windows 8 ARM will only be available to devices with it pre-loaded.

Why is every second version of windows useless?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back