Windows 8 Tablet Interface

Batou456

https://www.youtube.com/embed/HCREv-RDSBM?feature=oembed Both of these demos have shown the demo configuration they're using is resulting in a rather zippy operating system experience, which tends to reflect well on the end product.

Overall I'd say they look like they're on track with getting the NT kernel into a lighter more responsive form, and are otherwise setup to deliver a solid tablet interface. BlueStack has also successfully modified the Android runtimes to run on x86, and Windows, for what worth those applications actually are which could lead to a effective usurpation of the Android market.

With Intel getting snarky about running multiple OSes and pushing it's own breed of Linux, it looks like the old alliances have crumbled and things are setting up to be increasingly dynamic as we approach the process limits.

I for one, would not enjoy using this interface on my mouse and keyboard desktop. it would be clunky and it's definitely not engineered for the power-user and uber multi-tasker. Just reminds me of a beefed up windows phone. But if I can boot right into a desktop mode then I will be very happy. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is this not in kinetic 3D? I want to be able to reach into the virtual screen and move my apps around, maybe even build new apps using virtual Lego community modules that I can then share online with my friends.

// I would find it hard to enjoy this interface personally

Awww, so now that the industry successfully turned mobile phones into touchy-gesture-thingy devices where I can't remember all the gestures and would rather have some menus and buttons, next are the desktop PCs?

I'm gonna stay with my KDE4... or Windows 7, if I need Windows on a PC, if this is the only UI available...

What the heck is wrong with clean windows and menu buttons?

The part that bugs me the most about a lot of the movements in UI design is that they all seem to be moving toward being mouse (or touch) driven. And that bothers me.

At the end of the day, I will always be a keyboard guy. ALL applications should be easily runnable from the keyboard. Gnome-Do for Linux or Launchy for Windows do exactly that. I'm no longer clicking though menus and menus of applications to launch Firefox; I know what I want, I type a keyboard shortcut and start typing in Firefox. Done. Easy.

And it's the same in-application, too. (Control Q vs trying to get your cursor on a tiny button to left click, tell me which is easier?) But I'm done ranting -- I think UI design is going to leave me behind.

Microsoft has a long tradition of not catering to power users. Their model has always been to make it easier for people to start using software (though they weren't doing a truly great job at it). Unfortunately, power users suffer from this and this windows looks to be the worst of them yet. Windows XP was the last windows version I ever used, so I couldn't care less.

One is tempted to call this the year of the Linux desktop, but unity and gnome 3 aren't doing any better. Luckily enough the KDE team is still solid and Awesome is a great environment for power users.

Lol come on guys do u really think they are removing the standard user interface? This new sexy windows 8 interface will be optional, stop thinking that they will remove power user stuff when they will not.

looks like the illegitimate child of Gnome3 and a smartphone... lol

Lol come on guys do u really think they are removing the standard user interface? This new sexy windows 8 interface will be optional, stop thinking that they will remove power user stuff when they will not.

No, but it might open the doors to removal of a full desktop in the future. Just look at Chrome OS.

Well, they already made it nigh impossible to use uncertified drivers (like the Dingoo flasher) with Vista / Win7, and just keeping the old UI in there wouldn't be what I want... I'd love to habe improvements there and finally be able to use a second taskbar on the top of my screen...

This looks like they are moving away from the standard desktop UI... and not improving it anymore.

Let me predict the future:

1. The Windows fans will declare it good and perfect and call Apple a toy.

2. The Apple fans will declare it terrible/a rip off of Apple/uncouth.

3. I'll silently weep because I still can't click on the right side of a cmd.exe window and make it wider.

I mean, come on. How can a windowed application like cmd.exe not support making it wider? Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll add a ribbon to it.

3. I'll silently weep because I still can't click on the right side of a cmd.exe window and make it wider.
You should be able to change the window buffer width in the preferences. If you increase that you should be able to scale the window to that size.

You should be able to change the window buffer width in the preferences. If you increase that you should be able to scale the window to that size.

I'm aware that this is an option, but still, that's soooooooo wrong. gnome-terminal can do it easy-peasy, Windows 8 should start stealing features from the Linux side of things.

What is Kinetic 3D? Is that the PC version of XBOX 360's Kinect?

It's my fear of where input of mass-produced devices is headed (obviously an extreme one). Keyboard > Mouse > Touch Screen > Kinetic?/Vocal?/ESP?

Just extrapolating satirically, like ya do.

*sigh* Yeah, you're right. It just feels like a drift in the wrong direction, that's all. Not that this interface actually looks bad or anything.

Soon devices will be 100% controlling us! :lol:

soviet-russia-1430.jpg

Back