Wireless networks in France

moxie

The voice of reason, sense and exasperation
Staff member
OK, so this summer me and my family will do a little vacationing in France. A few days in Paris (29-30 june) and two-ish weeks in and around Bretagne (Etables Sur Mer as a base). So, the question is of course: How would one go about getting some sort of internet connection? It is not as if I have to be permanently online, but the ability to access the boards and/or FB in the evenings would be nice.

In Paris, I expect to get along on free wifi things (I think it is included in the hostel), but more out in the country...Should I get a prepaid data sim card? What should I get, and where (what shops)? Is there any other way to get mobile data? Stuff like that.

Anyone got any good ideas?

In france every single mcDo have free wifi, as most others large food-chain. So I'ld say that's a viable option.

There are some options for prepaid data cards (http://www.cours2physique.com/telephonie-mobile/comparatif-cartes-prepayees.html) but I'm unsure it would be wise, as depending on operator you might get very poor coverage...

EDIT: I was wondering why you're going to the north side of britany (as the south side have a more apealing temperature), then I remembered you're from sweden :D

Last edited by a moderator:
PM us a bit before if you want to drink some beers.

I know a good place with bavarian ones ;^).

Hehe :) Actually, we have relatives in Etables, and that is why we'll have that as "base camp". We will have interrail cards and probably rent a car for some days, so we'll move around a bit, too :)

Linux-SWAT: Yep, I'll do that, if there will be holes in our vacation schedule :D

We ordered a Mifi device (xcomglobal.com) and brought it along.  They have you specify which countries you'll be visiting, and it handled us nicely in Iceland, France, and England.  They tell you the data's "unlimited", but in France we ran out and needed to swap to the second SIM card they supply.  All our regular devices worked--Airport mode disabled the native cell radio (roaming charges for a USA stooge can be murderous), and then Wifi-Mifi.  Google Maps with directions integrated with GPS made travel amazingly convenient.

Note that "free" Wifi--especially in France--was extremely intrusive and limited.  Registration demanded, messaging and POP/IMAP disabled, ads inserted into your web page views--crazy.  They basically give you just enough WWW access to let you know that you have to pay up for something vaguely useful.  Go with Mifi, don't count on Wifi as supplied by your hotel.  I hear it can be bad in England, too, but we used a HomeAway and the unit had its own Wifi with *excellent* networking performance.

Just a side note: USA credit cards are basically *always* compromised over in Europe.  The credit card companies won't handle it even after you've given them your travel details.  Just try to use one card, and when you get back get the card replaced--tell them you're pretty sure a waiter had copied the number, something like that.  Yes, the credit card company has to eat the fraud, but it's still a hassle.

Have a safe trip!  We really enjoyed visiting Europe last Fall.

Sometimes, it is possible to have wifi access point near or in the city hall.

Just have to ask. It's free but limited in time.

You can have free wifi in many bars/restaurants and hotels in Paris, but it's also getting more and more common in smaller cities.

In small villages, you might be able to get free wifi in some restaurants.

Don't get fooled by wifi networks called "freeWifi" though: they're actually the hotspots for the ISP/MNO called "Free".

All DSL providers in France put wi-fi hotspots in their client's routers which you can connect to if you're a client. Maybe your relatives in Etables can give you their account information so that you can connect to the hotspot of their ISP (if they have any).

There are a few prepaid options for mobile data, but as sebt3 said, in some locations you might get little to no reception. Also, getting any kind of SIM card in France requires an ID (a passport should do).

Ok, checked stuff out and apparently I can use my home mobile as an access point in a pinch (at a cost, but still), so it'll work out :)

Tomorrow is off-we-go. Will be in Paris Sunday and Monday :)

Back