Caanoo / WIZ Wiz Note-taking Application

Would You Make Use Of Such An Application For The Wiz?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, if it was simple to use.

• Yes, if it had lots of fancy features.

• No, I don't need a note taking application.

• No, I think the idea is a stupid waste of time.

• Total voters

sam fisher

Website
blog.peter-r.co.uk
I am bored of having to take paper and stuff to my lectures and would much rather just take my Wiz to them and take notes on that (using the touch screen). Now there are a couple of issues with this.
  1. The Wiz screen isn't huge or massively high resolution so this could be an issue.
  2. Would I get side tracked and start playing games instead?
As far as I know there is not currently a suitable application available for this task on the Wiz so I will of course write one which is sort of the point of this thread. Would anyone actually use such an application and if so what features should it have?

It would be nice for quick reminders and small lists. I myself plan to make a sketching app sometime.

I say do it, though I wouldn't count on it being practical for taking lecture notes - the screen will still be 2.8", and unless the course in question is really light on writing you won't be able to keep up no matter how well designed your program will be.

As for features, I'd like it to load ready to take a new note (ie. not start with a menu), to have a fast save & quit option, and to save notes under folders named by date, to be easy to find. I imagine you will save the notes as images, it would be great if you would save them as PNGs so that they occupy little space and are viewable on any system.

Saving PNG's was the plan all along (as I'll probably write it in Fenix and that lacks any kind of XML parser etc so I can't use that as a representation). I wasn't planning to have it go direct into a new note but simply pressing B immediately on the main screen would take you to a new "notebook" or you can of course select the "New Notebook" button with the touchscreen. Does that seem acceptable or still too long to start? I could always have an option in a config file to specify this.

What about things like different coloured pens etc? How important is that to you?

Could you do letter-by-letter character recognition? That might be best for such a small screen. Have the words appear as you draw the letters at the top of the screen, and mark a region as "submit" to submit a line of text. Not sure how usable that would be (I'd probably keep trying to write off the right hand edge of the screen) but it might be better than trying to fit long scientific words on such a small area with such a small resolution.

D.

I did have a little think about that last night. I think I decided it would be insanely difficult (not to say it can't be added later) but I think to begin with I will nail down normal jotting. Text recognition would be pretty damn cool to get down and I am always up for a challenge. Thanks for the suggestions and criticisms guys. Please keep them coming.

Peter R posted on May 16 2009 at 10:15 AM said:
I wasn't planning to have it go direct into a new note but simply pressing B immediately on the main screen would take you to a new "notebook" or you can of course select the "New Notebook" button with the touchscreen. Does that seem acceptable or still too long to start? I could always have an option in a config file to specify this.
My reasoning was that writing a new note would be the biggest priority, and hence it would make sense to be able to do this as fast as possible.

Peter R posted on May 16 2009 at 10:15 AM said:
What about things like different coloured pens etc? How important is that to you?
Would be nice! The ability to highlight parts of the note would come in handy, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would probably make sense to have a separate PNG that acts as a map for the highlighter so that you can remove it if you wish to later without actually erasing the text.

Ok, so it's about a 50:50 split as to whether people would use the app and that with the fact that the majority of those "Yes" votes are for the "Simple and easy to use" option so that is what I will go for. No fancy text recognition here (sadly) :p. I guess I'll start work on it in about two weeks when I am done with exams.

Edit: Now I need to start thinking up a name for it. I was thinking of something along the lines of "WizJot". Any suggestions are welcome.

RX Shorty posted on May 18 2009 at 12:38 AM said:
WizNote
or
WizRemind
Ahh well, a pitty you don't give it fancy tools ;)

It's going to have some nice stuff :). It's just not going to do handwriting recognition :p.

I don't like WizRemind as it's original conception in my head was not as a reminder app (it's not going to have any sort of alarm) but I do like WizNote.

So atm in my name pool I have "WizNote" and "WizJot".

Peter R posted on May 18 2009 at 01:43 AM) I don't like WizRemind as it's original conception in my head was not as a reminder app (it's not going to have any sort of alarm said:
but I do like WizNote.

So atm in my name pool I have "WizNote" and "WizJot".
True, no alarm is no reminder ;)
Well my vote goes to WizNote ;) :p

I don't know why I didn't think of WizNote before actually :p. I mean, it's pretty much along the same lines as how I thought of WizJot but I didn't think of it :p.

Another possibility is "WizPad"?

Peter R posted on May 17 2009 at 06:15 PM said:
I don't know why I didn't think of WizNote before actually :p. I mean, it's pretty much along the same lines as how I thought of WizJot but I didn't think of it :p.

Another possibility is "WizPad"?
You didn't see my entry? :(
"WizRITE"

"WizRITE"-"iz"="WRITE"

I don't really care though. I think teachers or professors might get insulted or suspicious if they found out you were on a device with the potential of thousands of games. :p

Sorry but "WizRITE" is far too much like "1337" speak for my taste :p.

As for professors caring about the Wiz. I have played my own game (I was testing whether it was impossible to win) for an hour in a lecture before :).

Peter R posted on May 18 2009 at 02:01 AM) Sorry but "WizRITE" is far too much like "1337" speak for my taste :P. As for professors caring about the Wiz. I have played my own game (I was testing whether it was impossible to win) for an hour in a lecture before : said:
Sorry, but what does "1337" mean? Aside from a numeral value.
Sorry if I'm ignorant of certain things. :p

Back