Wiz Or Psp?

trayvyz

Still Fresh
I had almost made up my mind about buying a Wiz (check out my other posts, I don't want to repeat myself) until I found a local retailer and he's selling already hacked PSPs (with M33 custom firmware)cheaper than Wiz's. That IS a tempting offer in my opinion, because:

• * Let's face it, it has "SONY" written on it... I've owned Sony hardware before and the quality is just indisputable. GamePark holdings, I've never even heard of...
    * The user based scene is just buzzing with life with new stuff and updates coming out very fast, as opposed to the Wiz's scene which seems (please forgive me) a bit sluggish...
    * PSP will never be threatened by Pandora.
    * It can't be denied that emulator-wise the PSP is better (I think). Sure, it's been around longer, but still the rate at which stuff is developed and updated can never be matched by the Wiz's (imagine if the Wiz wasn't open source...). They've even got an N64 emulator going!
    * You can play all emulators that you can on the Wiz plus PSX and PSP games. So even if its custom firmware and emulator scene dies out, you're still left with the official games.

So finally, I really can't grasp why the Wiz is more expensive, when a PSP does what I want it to and even more...

I really don't know the shady parts of the PSP though. I'm really confused. I'm absolutely in love with the Wiz since I first cast eyes upon it, but it just has some aspects that really break my heart. Please do not consider this as Wiz-slander! I'm just trying to defeat the twin demons of procrastination and, believe me, it's not easy!

What's your opinion?

Thanks a lot

You've never heard of GPH before for a pretty good reason -

GamePark took the homebrew handheld world by storm with their GP32. Hell, even my "mates" that can't think beyond their next COD session had even heard about the neat little "gba thing that does emulators". It was terrifically popular. They planned a sequel device, but the company split. All the talent went to GamePark, the rest went to GamePark Holdings.

GamePark went under, GPH survived to produce one of the worst handhelds in history, the GP2X. They fixed a few of the more glaring issues in subsequent releases of the hardware, but made more mistakes as they went. Then came the Wiz - and that looked pretty exciting, I can tell you. More CPU power, a better screen, and finally a decent control system. Only it wasn't. If not for the very vocal people here, it would have shipped with two DPads instead of DPad+Buttons. Yes, they really are that stupid. The screen tearing could have been seen coming a mile off by a competent designer, but they don't have one. They've promised add-on devices (such as Wi-Fi) which don't look like they'll see the light of day now that a new system is supposedly in the works.

I have no faith that they'll get it right next time, either. They're clueless, and only listen when someone like ED or Craig tells them where they're going wrong - because they're distributors who will have an effect on GPH's bottom line. As for the general public, they can go whistle. They make a show of listening, but nothing gets done.

I have a GP32 and a GP2X F100 here, and I never once considered "upgrading" to the bugfest that is the F200. GP32 was great. GP2X was a mess of incompetent design, inside and out. The Wiz rectifies some of these problems, and introduces new ones. The Wiz development community has run out of steam faster than the GP2X scene did.

So I'd get a PSP if I were you.

D.

just to note - despite all that tearing issues, the display is a big pro for getting the wiz - it is great, tearing is mostly invisible (reduced) in most of the emulators you want to play with.

i've read in this forums that ghosting of the PSP display is really horrible and pretty much makes some emulators unusable, especially on fast games... sonic the hedgehog for example.

I have owned everything exept the original GP32 at one point or another. I just sold my wiz last week due to lack of performance over the GP2X. I'm personally waiting on the Pandora, but if that unit doesn't excite you, I would go with the hacked PSP for sure.

Some of the EMU's aren't as nice as on the wiz(and vise versa), and the ghosting screen of the PSP isn't as nice as the oled of the Wiz, but the ability to play the entire PSP library, as well as the nice EMU's it has, and a cheaper price, I personally think it is the better buy. Not great, but for sure better!

Chris

jumpman said:
but the ability to play the entire PSP library,
had this also in mind, if you want to play commercial games, go for the PSP. wiz commercial games are... despite the 2 or 3 out nonexisting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to break the trend here and say go for the WIZ. I've owned four different PSP's and never kept them because of the commercial games. I find the DS has better games (my opinion).
I've never had a hacked PSP so I don't know first hand but after just watching a bunch of YouTube clips on the emulators for the PSP I don't think it's up to WIZ standards for most of them. The WIZ has some problems with some SNES games but I think most of them it emulates nearly perfectly. The PSP didn't seem to be emulating even Super Mario World at full speed :(.
As for the screens, as others have said ghosting on the PSP is horrible. The WIZ screen is absolutely fantastic!

I'd go for a Wiz. It's smaller, has a better screen and runs SNES games much better.

By the way, you speak of build quality... I was quite surprised to find that the Wiz is actually built quite nicely indeed. It feels solid yet sleek.

Zaephen said:
The PSP didn't seem to be emulating even Super Mario World at full speed :( .

But I feel that they might fix that sooner or later, with the pace they're going. I'd hate to have to wait a year or so for Wiz devs to finally fix or update something. I don't blame them, I'm sure they have better things to do, but maybe I don't want to be part of it...
Besides, when are you talking about? The PSP has been running snes9x two years before the Wiz was even there.

Zaephen said:

As for the screens, as others have said ghosting on the PSP is horrible. The WIZ screen is absolutely fantastic!

Yes, the OLED on the Wiz is by far the best screen I've seen on a handheld so far ;) . I'll have to compromise for that if I finally go with the PSP.

GeorgyPorgy said:
The PSP has been running snes9x two years before the Wiz was even there.
Well if they had a two year head start and it still doesn't run as well as it does on the WIZ, that should tell you something! The WIZ is a fine piece of hardware, in my opinion ;).

Zaephen said:
GeorgyPorgy said:
The PSP has been running snes9x two years before the Wiz was even there.
Well if they had a two year head start and it still doesn't run as well as it does on the WIZ, that should tell you something! The WIZ is a fine piece of hardware, in my opinion ;) .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPOJH3rn-xI

Sorry, looks fine to me! And check the date.. April 2007...

Besides, the hardware is not my concern. My main concern is the community support

GeorgyPorgy said:
Besides, the hardware is not my concern. My main concern is the community support

That's a real "between a rock and a hard place" situation. You've got your PSP community, with an average age of about 9, where you'll have to dig through a lot of shite before you get to the real genius devs...

OR

You've got the Wiz community, which tends to be mostly rabid, but has some excellent devs working. Working on what, I have no idea - most of the main devs have either left since the Wiz came out, or have gone very very dormant. And that's the ones that haven't abandoned the Wiz for the Pandora.

Edit: Don't forget that GPH are arranging a coding competition for the Wiz, too! It should be starting real soon now, according to the info they gave out at the launch of the Wiz. Oh yes, they also have some commercial games coming out, also real soon. I don't think that the PSP scenes go in for that sort of thing?

D.

GeorgyPorgy said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPOJH3rn-xI

Sorry, looks fine to me! And check the date.. April 2007...
Agreed, that clip looks fine. Much better than the one I was watching.

Again, I will say that I believe the WIZ is the better machine for emulating old games. If you want to play commercial games however, the PSP would be the way to go.

Dunny said:
Edit: Don't forget that GPH are arranging a coding competition for the Wiz, too! It should be starting real soon now, according to the info they gave out at the launch of the Wiz. Oh yes, they also have some commercial games coming out, also real soon. I don't think that the PSP scenes go in for that sort of thing?

D.

i don't give much on that competition - the community driven competitions seemed to do better than anything else from gph lately. look at the price money from gp32spain competition now ... and it seems the korean compo already started ( http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52625-gph-announced-competition/ ) and the 'western' one is not yet announced...

On a related note, I just played my son's DS (I have to just about fight him to get my WIZ away from him) and I can say for sure: the WIZ screen blows the DS screen away and the DS was brighter and clearer than the PSP in my opinion. I've owned four DS's and three PSP's (don't ask, I'm obsessive/compulsive) and I can't believe how great the WIZ screen is. Crystal clear and very bright. No matter what angle you have it at it looks just as good as straight on. Again, I think the WIZ is a wonderful device ;).

I bought a PSP back in Feb to emulate my old PSX games. I have to say, I love my wiz for my NES/SNES/SEGA emulation. Haven't tried much of it on the PSP yet, but they're so nice on the WiZ. It all just depends on what you're looking for. PSPs are hard to mod these days, especially the new ones. The 1000s are all hackable, and most of the 2000s. The 3000s and go's aren't completely hackable if they're hackable, but are partially hackable depending on the official firmware that comes with it pre-installed. Going for a PSP that you want to hack is a win lose situation. Better research it if you're planning on buying a PSP to mod. Other wise, save your time and buy a WiZ!, if you're not too worried about PSX...

Also, just read your whole post BTW...

Playstations network store(PSN) doesn't work with hacked PSPs, also a lot of the new and up coming games don't/won't really work and CFW, yet. Sony has caught on the hacking of their PSPs and they do not like it, so they're doing everything in their power to end it. Also, from what I know, the PSP hackers have moved on to the Apple devices to hack. I think M33 is done hacking PSPs. Not sure about Gen though. Just somethings to consider. A lot of the new PSP stuff checks for official firmware, and if it's not present, it won't run.

I would get a PSP for PSP/PSone games and a Dingoo for emulation, it is pretty nice too. :)

If all you're wanting to emulate is the PSone games then go for the PSP. But the wiz is far better at console/arcade emulation for sure. I've not tested the video on my wiz yet. However for videos on the PSP you do need to convert them but you don't for the wiz!

Battery life is far better than the psp too.

I am hoping that someone will pick up the PSone emulation for the wiz again soon. I'm also really looking forward to bomber games Streets of Rage Remake heading to the wiz which I hope is released before I head for my holidays at the end of july.

But I digress.

JayWhite said:
I bought a PSP back in Feb to emulate my old PSX games. I have to say, I love my wiz for my NES/SNES/SEGA emulation. Haven't tried much of it on the PSP yet, but they're so nice on the WiZ. It all just depends on what you're looking for. PSPs are hard to mod these days, especially the new ones. The 1000s are all hackable, and most of the 2000s. The 3000s and go's aren't completely hackable if they're hackable, but are partially hackable depending on the official firmware that comes with it pre-installed. Going for a PSP that you want to hack is a win lose situation. Better research it if you're planning on buying a PSP to mod. Other wise, save your time and buy a WiZ!, if you're not too worried about PSX...

Also, just read your whole post BTW...

Playstations network store(PSN) doesn't work with hacked PSPs, also a lot of the new and up coming games don't/won't really work and CFW, yet. Sony has caught on the hacking of their PSPs and they do not like it, so they're doing everything in their power to end it. Also, from what I know, the PSP hackers have moved on to the Apple devices to hack. I think M33 is done hacking PSPs. Not sure about Gen though. Just somethings to consider. A lot of the new PSP stuff checks for official firmware, and if it's not present, it won't run.
Excellent points. I meant to mention them in above posts and forgot. Playing commercial games on hacked/modded PSP is a no-no.
That's yet another area that I feel the WIZ is superior to the PSP/DS. It's open and open friendly. You don't have to worry about big brother hammering you for what you're doing ;) .

Here's an interview with one of the scene's big guns: http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?39678-Ever-wondered-what-happened-to-Dark_Alex-and-the-PSP-scene-Mathieulh-tells-MaxConsole!&commentid=1226050
Even he tells you that the PSP scene isn't nearly what it used to be.

I have a hacked PSP and I can tell you that the Wiz is way better at emulation(except for PSX). I couldn't get any SNES emulator on the PSP or DS to play Actraiser perfectly. The Wiz has no problems with it and it can also play Mode 7 games as well(actually I think Actraiser is considered Mode 7??). Plus, don't even bother trying to play your PSP outside on a sunny day.

Now it is true that the Wiz is losing alot of devs to the Pandora but not all of them and some of the one's that work on the Pandora will still back port their projects to the Wiz(when possible).
All in all if you have the cash I'd get both. The PSP is still worth it for PSX alone!

Zaephen said:
Excellent points. I meant to mention them in above posts and forgot. Playing commercial games on hacked/modded PSP is a no-no.
That's yet another area that I feel the WIZ is superior to the PSP/DS. It's open and open friendly. You don't have to worry about big brother hammering you for what you're doing ;) .[/size][/font]

If you try to play a commercial game on the PSP doesn't it force you to update the firmware or the game won't start?

If you do update, your hacked FW goes by-by rendering all of those emulators unuseable. I guess there are some work arounds but it seems a hassle. A constant battle with Sony on your own console just seems more trouble than it is worth.

If you get the PSP just use it for one or the other.

Back