Wiz R.i.p. - Battery Confirmed Dead

vaustein

My GP2X Wiz only powers on with the USB charging cable attached. I took the battery to a local Batteries Plus shop, who confirmed that the battery's voltage is zero. :(

This is unfortunate. The Wiz has been my favorite handheld gaming device, period. The GP2X F100/F200 were unreliably powered by AA batteries. The Cannoo took some steps back, including the bulkier form factor and software-based audio control. The Wiz had almost perfect controls for a handheld in a truly pocket-sized package.

Too bad GPH used a GODDAMN PROPRIETARY BATTERY FOR NO F'ING REASON!!!!! :angry:

Today, I ordered the GCW-Zero from ThinkGeek, where I bought my Wiz merely two years ago.

R.I.P, Wiz. You deserved better.

vaustein

Thanks, iprice. Dragonbox doesn't have them in stock. But I also checked EBay and found a Korean seller! It probably won't arrive in time for christmas, but better late than never.

GP2X Wiz respawn in 3, 2, 1...

LTStone

Did you ever get your battery?
I just soldered a samsung galaxy i9300 battery in my spare Wiz and it works fine. But I wouldn't condone doing this :)

alxm

Still making GP2X and Pandora games, stay tuned!
Website
www.alxm.org
LTStone said:
Did you ever get your battery?
I just soldered a samsung galaxy i9300 battery in my spare Wiz and it works fine. But I wouldn't condone doing this :)
I'm sure more than a few people would like some photos and a little more info on that :)

LTStone

Well I have been ripped apart by my fellow Wizzer's for doing it but I did it anyway so whatever you do its your risk :)

I just soldered the + and - 's together as well as the " T " to the middle post on the Wiz. Now I used a NDS battery first and it worked and charged fine but died fairly quickly only being about 800MAH. Then I replaced that battery for the i9300 one. I had to cut out a bit of the stylus compartment with a Dremel  for it to fit but my Wiz case has a Stylus holder so no problems there. I can post some pics later...