WIz replacement battery

I just soldered a Nintendo DS battery in mine, and it worked fine. I personally would use any + T - 3.7 , 1500-2200mah battery but others say its dangerous but I don't see how and I'm willing to risk it :)

Maybe the chip that controlls charging is not calibrated for the different battery and might overcharge it or won't show the correct percentage anymore, so it could suck the battery completely dry.

This might lead to battery swelling, explosion, fire etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
I once arc-welded a car battery to my PSP-1000....it ran fine and then started smoking even though smoking isn't permitted in California.  Still, I thought that 12 volts was a sufficient amount of voltage for my personal gaming machine.  I was amped that I could quickly charge my lil buddy...oh how I was mistaken....

Well even if it would mean charging a DS battery in a DS and then putting it into the Wiz, I could live with it :)

But you have to solder it (permanently)?

Is it ok to take one DS charger and use its cables made free for charging the DS battery outside of a DS, in the Wiz?

(I wouldn´t mind at all taking a DS charger apart...would only need to look up "on the internet" which cables need to go to which battery ends.) :)

Maybe ED can get Wiz batteries back in stock...but if GPH have ceased hardware production, probably not.

Wait!  Don't do that....I'm not qualified to give anyone instructions on battery repair.  The problem is that (like mcobit alluded to) is that you can't be sure about the the charging circuit.  I wouldn't trust any battery that has shorter or longer amp hours (amperes?) than your electronic gaming device is rated for.  You might get the voltage right and the even the correct polarity, but you may blow it up anyway, because it's trying to force-charge a drained or swollen battery.... Don't mess around with batteries even though they have the relative voltage.

Wait for ED.  He'll hook ya up.  I just realized that this is "ask ED questions"...so I'm sorry for answering - just trying to help, but mcobit is correct as far as I know.

Yeah :) it´s not an acute problem for me right now but might become one late this year or next year. Thanks for your answers nevertheless, sometimes there are easy workarounds and who knows, there might be a Chinese battery from some website dealer which would be a good replacement, in the long run and if all originals are out :)

ur right guys , Its a bad idea. I just said said that I did it , But I agree with the other guys, unless you know what you are doing it is unsafe.

Good luck finding a Wiz Battery.

Back