Wiz Screen Vs Pandora Screen.

HexDump

Still Fresh
Hi everbody,

As many of you one of the things that more annoy me when playing is ghosting (yes you know, this odd effect produced because of lagging/slow screens).

I have heard some opinions of reputable scene members saying that wiz screen has 0 ghosting and it has a pretty good/fast screen (quality related), so I would like to know how it compares to the pandora one. I have see some videos of pandora and I have noticed how intensity decreases in some games while player move around, but don´t know if this is a camera effect (because the video where not digitally recorded) or that ghosting really exist. Any information please?

Thanks in advance,
HexDump.

The Wiz has an OLED screen. The Pandora has an LCD. OLEDs are almost as fast as CRTs, so there won't be any ghosting whatsoever. The Pandora has a very good LCD; however, people who are sensitive to ghosting will notice it, as they will with any LCD.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only ever noticed ghosting on Civ4, and I'm pretty sure that was a badly implemented motion blur. Any good gaming LCD won't give you any visible ghosting. I'm not sure if the same can be said about the Pandora screen.

i have the media player that the screen is also used on. im not some supor 1337 omgax must use crt monitor lol 99999 fps gamer, but when playing the visualizers and the only working emulator i knew of on it, i didnt notice anything.

'sdedalus' said:
The Wiz has an OLED screen. The Pandora has an LCD. OLEDs are almost as fast as CRTs, so there won't be any ghosting whatsoever. The Pandora has a very good LCD; however, people who are sensitive to ghosting will notice it, as they will with any LCD.

All TN panel LCDs have ghosting. I have seen a couple S-IPS panels where it was negligible, but they had other issues(mainly the cost, and one had a red hue when viewed from above, as you would when standing over someone's shoulder).

I'm one of those anal people that can see the ghosting on pretty much every LCD. Most people can't notice it, but will still stay away if they hear an LCD has ghosting problems. I myself notice ghosting the most when flipping out of a fullscreen back to the desktop - some of the colours change at different speeds, and for a couple miliseconds the colours aren't right - when going back to the Ubuntu desktop(orange) from watching a vid(lots of black), I see a lot of green. (ghosting)

But I can also hear that incredibly annoying ringing sound that TVs make, and I can pinpoint the locations of some phones by the buzzing they make. I'm quite sensitive to this crap - if you aren't, you probably won't have a problem with it.

One of the things that really annoys me about TVs is the wiggling lines moving across them. I think one of my monitors is getting old, because it's started doing it too, recently. The GP2X screen has tons of jiggly lines. Very annoying/distracting.

The Pandora is using a very good LCD. I'd rather have a quality LCD proven to last over a new OLED that may not have a good lifespan.

Wiz vs Pandora comparisons come down to this in 99% of cases:

Pandora technical specs > Wiz technical specs
Wiz portability > Pandora portability

and most likely

Wiz Flash compatibility > Pandora Flash compatibility

OK? oh yeah and the Wiz screen is OLED whereas Pandora is LCD.

'Kramy' said:
The Pandora is using a very good LCD. I'd rather have a quality LCD proven to last over a new OLED that may not have a good lifespan.
That and the insane pixel density. Even though I'll be doing a lot of scrolling :p to compensate for the short screen, the pixel density is higher than with 8.9" 1024x600 screens, screens which are 4.3" wide when oriented vertically, the same as the Pandora. The Wiz, with its 2.2" wide screen, and pixel density on par with the netbook screens, will be useless for reading, and much less enjoyable for movies.

'CC_machine' said:
Wiz vs Pandora comparisons come down to this in 99% of cases:

Pandora technical specs > Wiz technical specs
Wiz portability > Pandora portability

and most likely

Wiz Flash compatibility > Pandora Flash compatibility

OK? oh yeah and the Wiz screen is OLED whereas Pandora is LCD.
Wiz Flash > PAndora Flash compatibility?

What?

jeff

Yeah, by the time the Pandora is released, the Cortex optimized Flash should be available from Adobe, making it dramatically better than the Wiz could ever be.

Doesn't the Wiz screen have a problem with diagonal tearing?

'sdedalus' said:
Yeah, by the time the Pandora is released, the Cortex optimized Flash should be available from Adobe, making it dramatically better than the Wiz could ever be.

Any source for that information? Just curious, not saying you're wrong.

CODE
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200811/111708ARMAdobeFlash.html

Yes, that was an amusing one. *facepalm*

'sdedalus' said:
CODE
http://www.macproonline.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/SFV/32645/vpid/6651585/vpcsid/0/rid/129150
.. huh?

The Wiz have a noticeable tearing. One half (triangle) of the screen is updated before the other so it's noticeable with fast scrolling, haven't heard that this have been fixed. OLED is brighter with better colors and you can even play on it in the sun.

The Pandora screen is larger and have a higher resolution, using applications and surfing the web will be much better. The update speed is 32 ms from black to white to black, don't know how this would compare to a gray-to-gray value. It is possible (I don't know) that you will notice a blur when playing FPS games, when the camera is moved.

I don't think you should decide based on the screen though. The Pandora will handle applications better and have a keyboard, Bluetooth and WIFI (write, draw, code, web etc) and can also emulate Playstation games. If this is not something you are looking for then the Wiz is cheaper and more compact.

'Kekerot' said:
really 32ms? my tv is 4ms. I hope it wont blur too bad :X
That's probably because marketers play with the numbers [and leave important ones out] as hard as possible to make their stuff look good.
Or maybe it's a really good television. I have no idea, honestly.

The Pandora apparently has the same screen used in the "Archos 605 WiFi", so read some reviews of it's screen if you're that worried.

Most of the reviews I've read praise the picture quality but are upset with the glare in direct sunlight. (Wiz has the Pandora beat there, I suppose.)

320x240 respolution are too small these day for a multifunctional computer device like a wiz in my opinion. should be atleast 480x272 which was the archos 604. now 800x480 is standard for handheld computer.

I doubt you will see ghosting on any of them, OLED on Wiz has a mega fast refresh by design, and I think I read somewhere the Pandora has a very good refresh rate on it's TFT, also I don't think the guys who designed the Pandora would put up with ghosting as they are like us, gamers!

Back