World of Tanks

BaDToaD

"Very" Old Timer
Website
cwhippogames.wixsite.com
I saw an ad for this PC game and thought I'd give it a whirl. It's great fun and FREE to play.

Basically it's a 3D tank tactical game where you can drive over 300 Tanks and Self Propelled Guns.

You start off in basic tanks and upgrade as you earn experience.

15 tanks per side set off across maps as large as 5 Kilometres Square and try to destroy the other team or capture their base.

Completely free unless you want to buy gold to ease the upgrade path and buy some extra goodies. Playing for free is plenty good enough for me at the moment but I'm of the opinion I won't mind spending some cash later as the game is that good.

The graphics are excellent.

It's very easy to play but very difficult to master all the tactics.

The download is quite big at a little over 2 Gigs but the game is great looking and should work on any PC from the last 5 or 6 years in low mode. You'll need something a bit more beefy for medium and high but low looks pretty good anyway.

There are EU and US versions. Although I accidently started on the US version but find the connection speed fine.

Just google World of Tanks and give it a go. You won't regret it

Here's a trailer to whet your appetites

https://www.youtube.com/embed/hJd9iCbpwuI?feature=oembed

ToaD

I followed a thread in a german Computer Forum, the WoT Thread is getting larger than the World of Warcraft Thread so I guess that World of Tanks is not that bad. ^^

It seems to bee a good Online Free-To-Plye Game but as usual you don't rule anything without spending real money to buy important stuff. At least if you want to do serious playing.

I didn#t test the game for myself, I'm not into PvP and this is a pure PvP game. But I guess I still can recommend this game for people that like PvP and tanks. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the game i have been playing for a while now. Like most games it may be free but if you want premium content it will cost you. If it was ported to Pandora it would be kinda cool. However I would rather see StarFlight 3 get ported first.

I've only played for a week or so. I should get a KV soon B)

I've found the game to be excellent so far for a freebie but I can imagine it get's more competitive later on and the cash shop may be required if you want to be top dog or near to it. However I like it enough that I wouldn't mind paying some cash (not loads) to help me along ;)

Hmm I got a DVD of that game handed to me at GamesCom, did not look too impressive (also I learned that the games using the most and biggest ads usually aren't the best - and WoT really was very prominent albeit pretty unknown).

Guess I could give it a try... some day I find the time :p

OT: While we are talking about freebies... TF2 is free-to-play now, too and I found that "the most fun you can have online" for the past years (seriously though) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to have quite a poor compatibility with Wine and at a glance requires quite a bit of effort to run. I'll skip this one.

Hmm I got a DVD of that game handed to me at GamesCom, did not look too impressive (also I learned that the games using the most and biggest ads usually aren't the best - and WoT really was very prominent albeit pretty unknown).

Guess I could give it a try... some day I find the time :p

OT: While we are talking about freebies... TF2 is free-to-play now, too and I found that "the most fun you can have online" for the past years (seriously though) ;)

I suggest you do give it a go as IMHO it's one of the best freebie games out there. Even free to play provides lots of fun at lower levels and doesn't seem crippled at all.

I've played dozens of FTP games and this is up with the best of them. TBH I wasn't that keen and like you I don't usually trust games that are hyped via ads but I thought what the heck, I'll give it a go and I haven't put it down since. It's very polished in every department, Graphics, Sound, Music, Gameplay etc, all are excellent. It's very easy to get into but after a few levels you really need to start thinking to have a hope of getting a single kill let alone a few. Great stuff :)

Here's a review from someone that has obviously played the game a bit before reviewing.

Review

Back