Worried about the weight

asimov-solensan

Very Active Member
Well, I am following closely the development of the pyra, and with the last new I'm fearing that It's going to weight a lot more than the pandora, I mean:

-More ports

-Bigger screen

-Now a bigger battery

-And a heatsink!?

Well it has been more than four years with the pandora and I think that it's weight is on the edge of what I would call comfortable. Specially when  browsing or playing drastic (games that use mainly the touchscreen), I consider the pandora too heavy to grab it with a single hand, and I'm fearing that this problem will be worse with the pyra.

The point of this thread was to ask people what they think about the matter, and make ED and the pyra team aware about it. I would sacrifice some power (removing the heatsink/reducing frequency) or even battery life (never less than pandora) to get a lighter device.

Well some compromises need to be made when making a franken-handheld device where everyone wants something better.. I suppose a regiment of lifting weights or soup cans will help prepare for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a little more weight isn't that critical.

It might even feel good to have something more massive.

And being so small it can't be as heavy as an average laptop no matter what you put in it anyway.

Well, if everything goes to plan, you could use the old Pandora battery and apparently the lid is smaller, so that
should reduce the weight some.

It's an important point.

A more stable case than before will add a bit of weight too in addition to the stuff mentioned in the first post.

People can't really judge weight, only density. (try comparing large cardboard box with its mass in metal kitchen weights)

Does that mean we should make it larger to compensate, or something?

Actually, I'm not even sure what I'm trying to say. Don't take too much notice of me ;)

People can't really judge weight, only density. (try comparing large cardboard box with its mass in metal kitchen weights)

Does that mean we should make it larger to compensate, or something?
Well, if it's made larger, we could add a big lens to enlarge the screen without adding power drain for an even bigger LCD! ;)

I worry about the center of gravity. If it is balanced, then holding it with two hands is bliss, if something is heavier, then one arm gets tired.

I like the fact how the openpandora can be held with 2 fingers from the bottom of the screen, next to the hinges and takes a natural, (...using geodriehoek...) 60 degree angle.

I worry about the center of gravity. If it is balanced, then holding it with two hands is bliss, if something is heavier, then one arm gets tired.
Now that seems more important to me.I think that probably needs to be kept in mind while designing the heat sink, but other than that the heavier parts should be pretty symmetrical.

And here i thought we were all adult male europeans. I cant understand how the pandora is heavy, unless its lifting your arms thats the heavy part.

The time ED is figuring out how to add weight you could be using to bulk up. ;)

No casual gaming, prepare now by playing imaginary street fighter 2 on an old english brick.

The case material is supposedly carbon-plastic something, the carbon part meaning less weigth, that much is clear.

I think 600 grams is a top end. Thats a little less than my multimeter weighs. I like devices that are heavier, and non slippy surface.

I am bulky enough, but the thought of more female geeks with Pandoras Pyras is kind of a nice one. ;)

I am bulky enough, but the thought of more female geeks with Pandoras Pyras is kind of a nice one. ;)
And women are all so weak so we need a lighter Pyra for them? WTF?
Weaker by design/nature and most girls want light devices, that's at least what they say to me and most/nearly all of my friends have always been women.

I don't know if the DS would have been so popular if it would have had half a pound more weight.

The weight would be the last thing I'm worry about the Pyra. ^^

As long as the Case is durable and rigid enough to support the weight of the Handheld, there should be no issue. To much weight may not be comfortable for some people, especialy when you use the Handheld for hours. But at least weight usualy indicates value (like in Jurassic Park: -"Is it heavy?" -"Yes..." -"Then it's expensive, put it back!:D  ) 

I agree that this was not so "feelable" with the Pandora where the not so great case mainly indicated a cheap device more or less. I'm sure this will not happen with the Pyra. :)

Balloons.jpg

Just tie some balloons to it. :)

Weaker by design/nature and most girls want light devices, that's at least what they say to me and most/nearly all of my friends have always been women.

I don't know if the DS would have been so popular if it would have had half a pound more weight.
I think that "weaker by nature" is overused quite a bit. Sure, there are differences. But they are increased by the mentality of our society a lot. When a women and a man do the same stuff, they end up more or less at the same strength, as long as you stay out of the extremes.
I would need to ask some friends what they think, but I can't imagine a few hundred grams make that much of a difference. And to do it properly one would need to do a big survey anyway, which is of course impractical.

I think that "weaker by nature" is overused quite a bit. Sure, there are differences. But they are increased by the mentality of our society a lot. When a women and a man do the same stuff, they end up more or less at the same strength, as long as you stay out of the extremes.
You are free to check this out via arm wrestling anytime.

I met some girls/female collegues at work that exercised their arms more and more regularly than me and never even remotely came near to the strength of any male in the workshop.

You may be fooled by a feminist myth/lie there, but I am interested in your field studies anyway.

Back