GP2X Writing A Beat2x 'encoder'

taras

Mega Pandora mania
Website
taras.net
I'm writing a reasonably simple Beat2X encoding type program for Windows. What it does is plays the audio file and then you tap the rhythm you want for each button as it plays:

beaterbeta8yl.gif

At the moment that's ALL it does. I need advice on what method of inputting beats people would be most comfortable with. (Each of those lines on the time scale above represents me hitting space bar. When it's done, there'll be different coloured/labeled lines for each keypress X Y A B etc.)

Just looking for advice from seasoned Beat2X players on what computer keys it would make most sense to use...

(I haven't downloaded a pack yet - yes, it's a bit silly of me, but i'm on bad dialup so i'm leaving it until tonight). Cheers

I thought those keys too, but then picking up my GP2X it doesn't make sense, because you use one thumb for XYAB and the other thumb for directions, so when encoding you'd have an advantage over the player so it wouldn't be realistic.

WASD for joystick
UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT for AXBY
Q for LEFT shoulder and 0 (num) RIGHT shoulder

You should implement an overdub feature. That will make things easier (and a cancel button too, in case your overdubbed rec doesn't satisfy you).

how about accepting gamepad input? matches a gp2x config a lot better :)
and if anyone makes a similar tool like the one that makes the gp32 a gamepad, you'd have the perfect way of input ^^

VirusX, thanks for commenting but did you read my last message? I'm looking for a set of keys most people would be comfortable with using their thumbs for entering stuff, as on the GP2X, and index fingers for L/R.

For me, something like

Code:
-R-
F G      ... for the stick
-V-

and

-I-
J K      ... for the buttons
-M-

and maybe F2 and F12 for L/R would seem 'natural'.

The long and short of it is, I suppose, that I could make the keys user-configurable. Joypad is a great idea, there is already a program called JoyToKey which will convert joypad input into keypresses though so this is thankfully already covered.

:)

(And it already does overdubbing)

It's because I suck at beat2X and I have to press each button with my forefinger (while my tongue is out of my mouth).
So any config will be nice for me :p
And that's why overdubbing sounds great for me too :lol:

um... perhaps make the key mappings configureable so the person doing the editing can select what is best for them. As psymaster said, there is no difference between stick/buttons when encoding.

Back