X-COM collection currently on sale

sepp256

I just saw that Amazon has a sale on the X-COM Complete Pack for $3 here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00846E6X4

Since M-HT statically recompiled two of these games for Pandora, this might be a good change to pick up X-COM: UFO Defense and X-COM: Terror From The Deep

Just as a disclaimer, I haven't downloaded and tried the games on Pandora yet, so I don't know if the versions are compatible. Maybe someone who's played the X-COM games before can chime in!

I'd buy it, but the games have to be downloaded via Steam (Windows). =(

I'll wait to hear from a Linux user doing this with Wine.

Yep. Done it. Works fine. Install Steam on a Linux workstation with Wine (I used an Ubuntu 9.10 workstation at the time). Then 'install' the XCOM games on that Linux workstation with Wine & Steam.

Once it's all done - you can navigate to the hidden .wine directory structure through your C: drive Steam folders, etc.. and eventually find all of the needed binaries. This also worked for me to get the Quake binaries and DOOM too.

Glad to see I'm not the only one here who doesn't do Windows.

Oh, and a side note...

Half Life, Half Life 2 and all of their derived games work for me on Steam on Wine on X86 Linux. Those don't go to the Pandora of course, but since you're a Linux on the desktop guy I thought I'd fill you in a bit.

There is some talk, and occasional screen shots on Engadget, of Valve working on a version of Steam for native Linux. I wish they'd go ahead and come out with it already.

The one game I tried recently that doesn't is LA Noire - which uses DirectX AND .NET. Save your $8 and don't buy that one.

Back