Release X-Com: Ufo Defense

M-HT

Very Active Member
Website
github.com
Hi,

I finished porting my static recompilation of X-COM: UFO Defense to Pandora.

Download it here:
Archive
Repo

Original DOS X-COM: UFO Defense version 1.4 is required for playing.

Forum topic for newer releases is here.

Edit (30.07.2011):
X-COM: UFO Defense was updated to version 1.1.1 with the following changes:
* changed mouse controls using touchscreen in Battlescape:
* left mouse click is emulated when releasing touchscreen (instead of when pressing touchscreen)
* old controls can be selected in config file
* minor bug fixes

Edit (06.11.2011):
X-COM: UFO Defense was updated to version 1.2.0 with the following changes:
* MIDI playback using WildMIDI
(old MIDI playback using SDL_mixer can be set in the configuration file)
* show the Readme in the Documentation submenu

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks M-HT.

You have done some GREAT ports for the pandora.
Thanks for all your hard work!

Aaaah, another of those games i never really got to play, works great on the pandora!

Thanks!

Edit: hmm, im not getting any sound or music though, and i have timidity installed.

Edit2: i see the version im running is xcom 1.2, not 1.4. could that be the issue? everything else seems to be working just perfect, including introduction and all. Just no sound/music

MarkoeZ said:
Edit2: i see the version im running is xcom 1.2, not 1.4. could that be the issue? everything else seems to be working just perfect, including introduction and all. Just no sound/music
Probably yes. Just download a patch from 1.2 to 1.4 and apply it using dosbox.

Last edited by a moderator:
M-HT said:
Probably yes. Just download a patch from 1.2 to 1.4 and apply it using dosbox.
Well it appears there was indeed a sound change between 1.2 and 1.4.
I could not find the official patch anywhere, all download links seemed to be dead.
But after some more googling i found this link: http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242028295
No idea if that is the full patch (i guess not), but just extract the files and copy the new sound folder into the game directory, and voila: sound and music!

Again: Awesome game!

Hitnrun said:
This is just one of the greatest games of all times.
You're still around ?
Not much news of your hacking :( I guess you have no time for us

M_HT, works great. Is there a way to not use the notaz SDL? Notaz SDL doesnt support the nubs (or at least I lose nubs running the latest xcom and warcraft)

Pickle said:
M_HT, works great. Is there a way to not use the notaz SDL? Notaz SDL doesnt support the nubs (or at least I lose nubs running the latest xcom and warcraft)
Yes, you can edit the config file and change the line:
Code:
Use_Alternative_SDL=yes
to
Code:
Use_Alternative_SDL=no
This will use the firmware SDL. You will loose vsync, but that can't be helped.

You can do this in Albion, Warcraft and X-COM.

Blue Protoman said:
What does VSync do, anyway? Plain English, please.

It keeps your application in sync with the refresh rate of the display. It lets you know when to copy to the framebuffer, so that your not doing the copy when the framebuffer is being displayed. Otherwise you see tearing on the screen.

M_HT, is there some reason you cant add it internally to the application?

Pickle said:
M_HT, is there some reason you cant add it internally to the application?
I tried doing that, but it didn't work (the tearing was still visible).
The only way I could get vsync to work was by using the alternative SDL by Notaz.

sebt3 said:
Hitnrun said:
This is just one of the greatest games of all times.
You're still around ?
Not much news of your hacking :( I guess you have no time for us

Yes still around, but after staying 2 months without a Pandora I started hacking Android and launched an app, so the Pandora was put a little in the corner.
But giving up programming for it, never.

would it be possible to add a toggle for the touchscreen behavior in tactical mode ?

right now, it seem hardcoded to
touch = mousemove + click.
L+touch = mousemove
L+touch doubletap = mousemove + rclick

i personally would find it much more enjoyable if it was
touch = mousemove.
touch doubletap = mousemove+click
L+touch = mousemove + rclick

with the current setting i keep moving my units to the wrong square since i cant see the square where it will click (isometric view can play tricks on you sometimes).
moving the mouse here before clicking work fine, but its annoying to always press the L button everytime i want to click somewhere.

either that, or doing the click when you release the touchscreen (not sure how possible it would be), just so that you could touch, drag exactly where you want it, then release to click.

Jey123456 said:
would it be possible to add a toggle for the touchscreen behavior in tactical mode ?

i personally would find it much more enjoyable if it was
touch = mousemove.
touch doubletap = mousemove+click
L+touch = mousemove + rclick

either that, or doing the click when you release the touchscreen (not sure how possible it would be), just so that you could touch, drag exactly where you want it, then release to click.
Both ideas are doable, but I like the second one more (doing the click when you release the touchscreen). So I'll try to implement it in the next version.

cool, im looking forward to it. and if you need a beta tester feel free to pm me ! :p.

the sooner the better haha. (im going crazy over that click thing). is it open sourced if so where could i get the sources, ill do it myself ! heh.

First of all, thank you very much for this! X-COM is one of my favorite DOS games, and now I can play it anywhere I want. Long train rides have suddenly become very enjoyable. :D

However, I encountered a weird bug (using the Steam version of X-COM, which works fine otherwise, as far as I can tell): In my current game, as soon as the construction of a new hangar is complete, it switches into tactical mode and shows me the last mission I played (at the point where I last saved in the mission, even though I already overwrote that particular savegame - I guess the game takes the state from the files in the MISSDAT folder). Just to make sure this wasn't a bug of the game itself I copied the saves to my computer and played the game on Steam. There I got past the "hangar production complete" message without the sudden switch.

In any case, I've zipped up the savegames here: http://hulub.ch/temp/XCOMBuggedSavegame.zip
Just load the third save (called "Second Mission") and let two days pass - then the hangar message appears and, after you press OK, then switches to the last ground mission.

Let me know if you need more details about the bug.

Eshy said:
However, I encountered a weird bug (using the Steam version of X-COM, which works fine otherwise, as far as I can tell): In my current game, as soon as the construction of a new hangar is complete, it switches into tactical mode and shows me the last mission I played (at the point where I last saved in the mission, even though I already overwrote that particular savegame - I guess the game takes the state from the files in the MISSDAT folder). Just to make sure this wasn't a bug of the game itself I copied the saves to my computer and played the game on Steam. There I got past the "hangar production complete" message without the sudden switch.
This is a bug in the original code - reading from invalid memory location. If you play it on Steam you'll see that you should get two "hangar production complete" messages, but the second message doesn't say "hangar", but shows an empty space.
I'll see if I can fix it.

Hi,

I updated X-COM: Ufo Defense to version 1.1.1

Download it here:
Archive
Repo

Changes:
* changed mouse controls using touchscreen in Battlescape:
  * left mouse click is emulated when releasing touchscreen (instead of when pressing touchscreen)
  * old controls can be selected in config file
* minor bug fixes

Back