Xbox 360, Tits-Up

Shaun

R.I.P. Xbox.

Died today, at the ripe age of two and a third years. What has happened is really strange. I feel it is a RAM issue, but there is no way to flush the RAM manually. Shucks, I was downloading Sonic Adventure as it happened too. :( What a waste of money as I had topped up my account by 1000 MSP just before the shit hit the fan. In terms of the problem itself, it is stuck frozen on the active downloads page. (Which shows Sonic Adventure as nearly fully downloaded to piss me off more.) Turning off the 360 does nothing. It seems to just reset. Pulled out the power cable, put it back in. Nothing, still the same; frozen. Mashing the buttons does nothing.

I said it could be a RAM issue, but even that is not said with confidence. RAM tends to be volatile memory, and thus, the lack of power to the 360 should automatically clear the RAM. Yet this seems too bizarre to be a graphics card issue. Warranty has run out, and annoyingly for certain problems people get a warranty extension but mine isn't even on the list of reasons. It said I'd have to cough up £70. To hell with that—if I sold this for spares and repairs I could get another 360 easily!

With my collection of about fifty retail games, the broken Xbox itself, and an XBL account with a lot of arcade games, I'm sure I could get at least £500. I just don't want to buy another console. I feel gutted. I could sell it, and well, you know...

:pandora2ut4:

Well that's strange, since it's out of warranty did you try opening it?
Oi... Frozen on the download page.. Try Digiex, they might be able to help you. Unfortunately, I don't think you can replace RAM on an X360...

Actually, as an update, after a night it turns on normally now. But it did freeze once when I tried to load an indie game. Fortunately it actually rebooted after that. I'm reluctant to play it much though. Although I guess if it's going to break it's going to break, and I may as well enjoy its last days if so. :p I'd definitely get a Pandora if it broke.

Well be sure to check out Digiex, they might be able to save you.

An interesting site, thanks. Froze up again just now. A man at a game shop gave me a good idea. There are ways to force a RRoD to occur in a 360. Doing this will grant me a three-year warranty. Hey presto.

Back