Xbox Modchip Question

spongebue

Website
Visit site
Before you flame me, keep in mind this modchip is used for Linux, Xbox media center, and the emulators we all have one way or another, not playing copied games.

I'm borrowing an xbox from a coworker. He already installed the modchip, but is having trouble with the software instalation, and doesn't care to look into everything. That's how I got it. The problem is his modchip (Smart XX) doesn't always work. It's wired so it'll go into the standard BIOS when eject is pressed, or the chips BIOS when you press the normal power button. The problem is, it would occasionally go into the normal BIOS. Generally I'd unplug it for a minute, and it goes back to normal. Now it doesn't go into the chips BIOS if its life depended on it. It started just after I installed Linux to the hard drive (it seemed to be successful) but I don't see why that would change anything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
spongebue

spongebue posted on Oct 23 2004 at 11:24 PM said:
Before you flame me, keep in mind this modchip is used for Linux, Xbox media center, and the emulators we all have one way or another, not playing copied games.

I'm borrowing an xbox from a coworker. He already installed the modchip, but is having trouble with the software instalation, and doesn't care to look into everything. That's how I got it. The problem is his modchip (Smart XX) doesn't always work. It's wired so it'll go into the standard BIOS when eject is pressed, or the chips BIOS when you press the normal power button. The problem is, it would occasionally go into the normal BIOS. Generally I'd unplug it for a minute, and it goes back to normal. Now it doesn't go into the chips BIOS if its life depended on it. It started just after I installed Linux to the hard drive (it seemed to be successful) but I don't see why that would change anything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
spongebue

First of all, it is obviously wired incorrectly. Otherwise, it would not have those booting problems at all. Recheck all your solder-points.
I do not use xbox-linux myself but maybe the installation flashed your chip with a custom cromwell or similar and your SmartXX does not want to work with that. You even could have fried the chip. Dunno. But as far as I know, the SmartXX has got some kind of PC-connector on it (serial or USB or similar) and you could reflash it via PC.

So to sum it up, I would suggest you to check every single point of your soldering (especially the ones that register which button is pressed to start the xbox) and reflash the chip via PC. -> But also visit a SmartXX-forum to get some closer help on your chip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. One of the guys at another forum I go to knows a lot about Xboxes, and he was pretty sure he even knew which wire was off, the same one my coworker had trouble doing.

Back