Xgp Exposure

mittens

Website
Visit site
Ok, guys.

Yesterday, (2nd March) the new XGP and its spec (and also the spec of XGPmini) was announced.

If you are interested, and know korean ;) here is the link:
http://www.gamechosun.co.kr/site/data/html...0302000019.html

and below is my rough translation.

---------

Gamepark, who developed GP32 on 2001, will lanch their next generation handheld game consoles XGP and XGPmini on Oct and Aug.

XGP is designed as a portable wire/wireless network game console. It has 16M color 4' TFT LCD and support full 3D capability with 1~1.5M polygons per sec. DDR 64MB and NAND Flash 64MB will be on board and the storage media will be the SD.

It supports game, MP3 play, movie play and eBook. Especially it will be ready for DMB. (Digital Multimedia Broadcasting)

Users can download the game title, and the charge will be various depend on the contents. Expected market price for console is around $300.

Gamepark said "XGP can play via network with WiFi and Wibro technology, and SDK will be supported"

XGPmini is designed as a middle/low priced - high performance handheld console and similar to Gameboy Micro of Nintendo. It has 260K color 2.2 TFT LCD and 32MB memory with 64MB nand flash. The main storage media is also the SD.

It also support MP3 and movie player and eBook reader. The game title will be serviced via internet download. Its expected market price is $150 around.

Gamepark said, "XGPmini will be black, white and red. For the game contents, exist GP32 contents and new mobile game contents will be serviced"

They said they will be on the E3 of this year with Quake 3 on XGP.

---------------

Hmmm... many devs may like the 3D function of XGP ... maynot...

Holy Crap. I actually want an XGP now.

EDIT: Bah, with the DS Lite having an amazing screen matching the PSP, and this, Im gunna go broke.

'The game title will be serviced by internet download' sounds like the Giz. I wonder if it supports homebrew... I'd guess it does, from the GP32 mentions and the SDK compatibility.

Might be worth a shot.
I'm still partial to my good ol GP2X...

mittens posted on Mar 2 2006 at 09:13 PM said:
Gamepark said at "XGPmini will be black, white and red. For the game contents, exist GP32 contents and new mobile game contents will be serviced"
Does that make it sound like XGP games won't be supported on the XGPmini, but the XGPmini will have entirely different content? Maybe the mini is more of an "update" to the GP32 plus some new content.

Last edited by a moderator:
The GP2X is still better than the mini. It has more RAM, bigger screen etc. The stick is not that bad now that I am used to it and have a decent cap on it.

The specs for the XGP haven't really changed much since it was announced a while ago except that they ditched the phone pad. The analog controller and widescreen sound very PSPesque. I already have a PSP so I think I will stick to PSP and GP2X for now. My PSP does good 3D too and will have more games.

Quake 3 on a portable with internet access... Cant compute .... too ... much ... OWNAGE!

Lol, now I have to buy an XGP. I cant wait to frag someones @## while I"m on the bus haha.

I am going to get that XGP Mini as well. Much more portable than the GP2X which unfortantely is hardly portable as a result of its bat life.

Also The GP2X is still too big overall to be easily carried in the pocket. The XgP mini though... I'll be able to put that in my pant pocket without noticing its there :)

The XGP mini will be better than the GB Micro too.

Genny, SNES, NES, Turbo GRAphix 16, GB, GBC, MAME, combined own the GBA library of games.

If they can emulate GBA on the console than that just breaks the deal. No more need to buy a GBA Micro and carry around 30 annoying cartridges.

It will be interesting to see if the XGP gets an n64 emulator. It will surely get a decent psx emulator with the 3d chip.

Shikaku posted on Mar 3 2006 at 03:12 AM said:
And still vague news on homebrew...

Bah.

Even if it had homebrew, bah. What does it offer that the GP2X doesn't as far as HB? Not to much really except 3D. Other than 3D it is yet another PSP wannabe. It will have some quirky Korean games and such but GP2X for the win I still say.

benny32 posted on Mar 3 2006 at 03:41 AM said:
It will be interesting to see if the XGP gets an n64 emulator. It will surely get a decent psx emulator with the 3d chip.

Well if the PSP doesn't have an N64 this won't. The PSP has a 3D chip and even a Mips CPU which is similar to the one in the N64. If any system will be emulating the N64 it will be the PSP.

If the CPU spec on the XGP is the same as announced before it will be 200 MHz.

So, just to be straight, XGP = GP2X + wifi + Korean TV + 3D chip +$100 cost?

Sounds like a reasonably square deal, actually. So long as it isn't stuck with just commercial games, of course.

XGPmini sounds like a poor man's GP2X.

Also... GP2X not portable? Crazy talk. I have two pairs of 2500mAh Engergizers (not magic batteries from the moon or, less believably, EUROPE) which are all I ever need, I and I watch a hell of a lot of videos on the thing. I also find it easy to carry.

Then again, I wear a SCOTTeVEST every day...

Anyway, while I'm interested in the XGP, I don't see myself ever buying one, even if I had the money (and I don't, and I want a DS rather badly - especially since Opera was announced.).

DaveC posted on Mar 3 2006 at 05:46 AM said:
benny32 posted on Mar 3 2006 at 03:41 AM said:

Well if the PSP doesn't have an N64 this won't. The PSP has a 3D chip and even a Mips CPU which is similar to the one in the N64. If any system will be emulating the N64 it will be the PSP.

There are Mips and there are Mips. The N64 got one based on 4300 what is 64bit where in the PSP you have derivate of 32bit 4000. And the N64 clocks at 93.75MHz so good luck emulating that even in PSP at 333MHz. But fortunately (for an emulating) the cpu in the N64 is crippled by very poor memory perfomance so who knows?

DaveC posted on Mar 3 2006 at 05:46 AM said:
If the CPU spec on the XGP is the same as announced before it will be 200 MHz.

But isn't really that important as what XGP will be using for a chipset?
I'm almost certain that it will not be (for obvious reason) a custom one. Have someone an idea?

If XGPmini does support GP32 homebrew, there would be many opportunities to upgrade the existing emulators and homebrew. Many programs, like the SNES emulator, would probably become frameskip near-fullspeed due to the RAM increase. But that is saying that the processor stays the same as GP32. who knows, it might be higher.

JaqMs posted on Mar 3 2006 at 05:27 AM said:
If XGPmini does support GP32 homebrew,
That was a mistranslation. I repeat: It does not!

Unportunately, :( there is no other news for homebrew nor SDK..

nor backward compatibility of mini..

well, I'll post it ASAP when I find it..

EDIT: But they CERTAINLY mentioned "gp32 contents supported" ...

*Explodes with emotions.*

I see SDK there, so homebrew, Im glad they went with that.. Imma get one for sure ... Quake 3 WTF?

Hanz™ posted on Mar 3 2006 at 02:31 PM said:

It doesn't matter, Hanz. It's a lost cause. The incorrect information is mentioned in some forum posts, so people will be quoting it for months, taking it as fact, not caring to check if it is true or not. Mis-information gets spread faster than good information.

Hanz™ posted on Mar 3 2006 at 05:31 AM said:
How did the translation read, then?

Hanz™ posted on Mar 3 2006 at 06:31 AM said:

Well... the screen resolution issue is resolved then. It just doesn't exist.

Back