Yet Another Flashing Mystery Aarrghhhh

pgunning1

Still Fresh
Ok this is my 3 post, I wish it could have been more positive, I am having problems with reflashing my ver 2 gp2x as it has taken to hanging at the green screen on boot up, for background please follow link below:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...hl=green+screen

Anyway can't return yet as person that bought it is on hols and without the order no. so no return even though it was clearly sold by gp2x.co.uk :(

So in the meantime i thought i'd give flashing it a go.

1st tried the file gp2x-f100_200_060428.rar on a 64mb fat32 formatted card, start/select held down starts firmware update (great) restart holding start/select (removed the two .img files as per others instructions.)

Firmware update starts BUT no further, just goes to green screen firmware ver 2.0.0 loading screen, NO UPDATE :blink: has been done and just sits there, reboot and just goes to green screen.

Tried to update following http://www.distant-earth.com/gp2x/2005/11/...cked-gp2xs.html guide using the following files in order of trying to install:

1) gp2xkernel.img
2) gp2xfile.img
3) 101files.zip

after installing files 1 & 2 above all i get it the damn green screen, but firmware was ver 1.0.0 or something , BUT only got to the green screen as above again.

Then did the update to firmware 2 using above file again (gp2x-f100_200_060428.rar) as before and still the same. WHY ??? its driving me mad, I can't get off the green screen ,the install doesn't work for me as described by others.

I have it attached to the mains, no batterys are in it, running at 3 volts, i don't think power is the problem, is my next resort to installing the u-boot i don't have any cables do i need any? , I'm getting desperate can anyone help on the install and why it doesn't work.

I'll pay someone to do it via paypal if it can be done cheap and efficiently any recommendations moderators ?

Please i am trying hard to get it back on track quickly, but the green wall of death just sits in frount of me LOL.

Thanks
Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
might simply be your SD card. some are just not working right when it comes to updating the firmware. Borrow one from a buddy and try again.

EDIT: Nevermind, just read that other post of yours...... damn I have no idea. That sounds bad.

Hmmmm I've tried four so far 2 1gb disk which were recognised by the gp2x when working, a 256 card formated and a 64 mb card, all have worked in other devices as well.

How fussy can it be? surely this isn't the only answer to this?

Thanks for the post though.
Paul

Dude, this sounds like your NAND is screwed. Might have been broken all along and now dissolved finally to punch you in the face... maybe you should consider sending it in. You can ofcourse try connecting a serial cable first and check what telnet is saying. Maybe you can figure out what the problem is, while reading the output on boot.

Thxs xnopasaranx, can the Nand be reflashed? and if so, in reflashing the NAND can it run of an sd card and hope for the best, ie are there any on screen prompts to know whats happening on the gp2x or is it all through the cable.

Where do i get the serial cable from? how much r they and would it be more economic just to pay to get fixed?

Anything I can try before this what about U-boot ? why will it boot to the the black screen and the green screen in the online how to unbrick your gp2x they said if these screens come up its not that bad!

Will a knackered Nand allow this to happen?

Thanks
Paul

When you flash you do reflash the nand, but if it sscrewed that wont help.

The only "fix" i could think of is the alternate uboot and boothing the kernel from the sd card, through you should still get it repalcd,
but it may help you until the guy you bought it from gets back and gives you the order number so you can get it repaird.

Been searching the forum, Im confused about Nand, most seem to flash the Nand, (their system appears to be working) via utility, which i cann't do. If the Nand is corrupt would it still boot and proceed to the 1st part of the firmeware upgrade or not?

I thought U-boot would be my next option, as the boot loader i assume is working but corrupt thats why its not allowing the upgrade to work.

Very confused it seems to go by the manual untill I reboot the machine for the 2nd part of the upgrade, all I get is the green screen, how long should I wait before the patching update screen appears seconds, minutes or hrs.

Thanks
Paul

pgunning1 posted on Sep 5 2006 at 10:35 PM said:
1st tried the file gp2x-f100_200_060428.rar on a 64mb fat32 formatted card, start/select held down starts firmware update (great) restart holding start/select (removed the two .img files as per others instructions.)
Where are you getting that file from? The version on the archive is a zip not a rar. Also, can you list exactly what you are putting on your card because it sounds like you might not have the new filesystem files on there.

I think i had the same problem long ago.

The first patch (firmware upgrade) was ok, but after reboot the second patch (file system upgrade) was not running ok (hang at the boot green screen).

Finally i got it working formatting again the SD card and copying again the files of the second patch, power on the console with START+SELECT pressed and it worked (instead of the boot green screen, a text with the update progress was presented, it takes some minutes to finish be patient)...

Hope it works...

just for clarity: The NAND contains all system data of your gp2x. If you are doing a firmware upgrade, it goes to the NAND. If you update uboot, it goes to the NAND. Tha means, if your NAND is screwed, you cannot do a successful update at all. Let`s hope that`s not the case... hopefully franxis is right.

pgunning1,

If your in the UK and really stuck i'll fix the unit for you for postage (and normaly a small donation to charity).

Failing that if you find me on IRC I will be more then happy to see if I can help you get sorted. I assume you don't have a serial lead for the GP2X by chance?

Cheers,

John

Thanks John, that would be great i'm in the uk in Buckinghamshire, and no i don't have a serial lead sorry, is that going to be a problem? which charity would you like me to donate to, i prefer the RNLI their great! but if you have a preferrence let me know, could you email me your address so I can send to you.

Many thanks
Paul

pgunning1 posted on Sep 6 2006 at 09:54 PM said:
Thanks John, that would be great i'm in the UK in Buckinghamshire, and no i don't have a serial lead sorry, is that going to be a problem? which charity would you like me to donate to, i prefer the RNLI their great! but if you have a preference let me know, could you email me your address so I can send to you.

Hi Paul,

Drop me a mail (mail address on site) and we can sort things out.

As for a serial, nope, a serial would just help us all diagnose your problem with a lot more ease in case it's something simple (immensely possible), saves you sending it off but if not I am more then happy to fix it up. The charity is fine, up to you what you give, I have never liked the idea of donations (unless it’s gadgets ;)) for doing community stuff so charities always seemed a nice way to make sure something goes to good use :).

Back