You Tube Through Vlc

Trip

Sorry, but I suck at explaining stuff :P
Website
ubuntufs.wordpress.com
Any body tried watching YouTube videos with VLC player yet?

I'm assuming that this uses VLC's own codec for playing the streams and we won't need Flash actually installed on the Pandora itself. Works great on the PC in my parents living room and that always struggles with anything Flash related.

I'm sure I heard someone mention it once before but haven't been able to find the old thread.

With the latency added by VLC, and the bandwidth needed, I'd guess it gets you choppy playback.
B!

wait, did someone get vlc going on their pandora? gimme gimme

edit: nevermind, here's the link for vlc
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54922-vlc/
color me excited :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alerino said:
Come on, does that mean that i'll need to add cddb support ?
Next I'll learn that someone want to record its webcam with vlc, which will require me to add that too (I hope that V4L2 kernel modules are not there...)

Just tried it, not good I'm afraid.

No video and choppy sound that cuts out after loading a few seconds- I think 9 secs is the best I have had so far.

Are there any codecs etc that I can add that would help?

pootle said:
Just tried it, not good I'm afraid.

No video and choppy sound that cuts out after loading a few seconds- I think 9 secs is the best I have had so far.

Are there any codecs etc that I can add that would help?
:( That's a shame.

None that I can think of but you might have some success playing around with the settings?

How well does VLC work for watching normal videos? Might just need improvements to VLC itself?

Cheers for trying it anyway :)

It works fine for normal 634 x 352 avi files, I haven't tried anything bigger than that.

I have tested it as well u can put the youtube URL straight in there and it picks up the video file however it suffers the same issue but worse than minitube.

It's just so near and yet so far :(

I get a static video with 480p videos, but nothing watchable.

craigix said:
Does a plugin exist for firefox to maybe grab the MP4 and play it with another program?

Yeah firefox has a plugin called 'DownloadHelper' You can install it by going to: tools/add-ons/get add-ons - find it and click install - then go to: tools/add-ons/extensions and click enable. I've tested it out and downloaded some youtube vids in mp4 and flv.

It works for other sites too, not just youtube. :)

craigix said:
Does a plugin exist for firefox to maybe grab the MP4 and play it with another program?

1 Click Youtube Video Downloader works really well for grabbing MP4 both High Quality and HD ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/13990/ )

well that's cool the only problem is you have to download the mp4 before you can with it and some youtube vids are 50mb + we should be able to stream them but we already know so far that isn't working out, I'm gonna get myself the firefox plugin for now me thinks :)

I tried Downloadhelper earlier but couldn't get it to install properly, maybe I did something wrong?

pootle said:
I tried Downloadhelper earlier but couldn't get it to install properly, maybe I did something wrong?

Possibly, did you restart firefox after it had installed? it wont work unless you do. It also needs to be enabled in the extensions tab.

Had the same problem as before: everything looks like it is working but when I restart Firefox there is nothing listed in Extensions :(

pootle said:
Had the same problem as before: everything looks like it is working but when I restart Firefox there is nothing listed in Extensions :(

Hmm, what version of firefox are you using? I'm using the old build still. Does it show up if you go to edit/preferences/general/manage add-ons ?

You could also try the add-on mentioned on the previous page - 1 Click Youtube Video Downloader

edit: or Al's suggestions.

I can call you Al right?

pootle said:

You need to download and run Fennec before Firefox extensions (and other profile features) will work correctly.

Back