Your Favorite Firmware And Config

tattooman

Website
Visit site
Before posting this I have searched the form and the information is very outdated.

I am curious to know people's personal configs and options and how their setup is to get the most out of their GP32.

I did not make this form so people would flame each other but rather just share.

Another question as well is has any one used Aquafish's Zed or multi firmware program to create a firmware that they like better then the ones to download or is some one just happy with a simple setup like booting to wind-ups?

Here is my setup:

I use Aquafish firmware 5.1 and I use to create separate zpr files for my 2 different SMC's but got too complicated.

I just have pacrom, Euro firmware on top and bottom and in the middle yafl and if I hold L it will boot to it.

For looks I use one of the boot pics you can have as this doesn't add too the boot time really.

In yafl I just various themes that I will sue to add little look to it and currently have a Mario theme set.

I have yafl set to unsorted so all my games and apps are just there if I change SMC cards nothing else to config.

Then I have the fxe from slubman's firmware names boot.fxe on the / on each smc card so I delete move copy files etc.

I like it because there is pacrom to recover or format smc cards, I don't sue the USB cable so linking is no big deal.

I use to use Slubman's but I didn't like the BIOS monitor going off when games or emulators would not work etc.

I tried to make my own using Zed the multi firmware but the directions were not too clear and couldn't find any thing in the FAQ's.

It was easy to convert to gxb format but making them all combine well more then just 2 I could not figure out.

I wish there was a firmware combined with Aquafish and Slubman's with out any thing on the SMC to save space and just to have it all built in.

I only use the Euro firmware for playing commercial games that I could not play with Slubman's....

It would be cool also if there was a firmware like with Aquafish 4.8 but would just put any thing in the /GPMM menu there to pick from and not be a static menu with a skinable background of course.

Some times I can get carried away and spend more time configing and playing with my GP32 then just playing games on it, LOL.
Anyways my post is way too long sorry, looking forward to hearing other peoples option... :)

I use Slubman's, but I wish things were a little more organized..

PC-Link is built in. I use that.

Thinking of switching to YAFL. Maybe. Want to check out OSX launcher.

Bye bye.

What is the difference between GPdrive and PHOdrive? I am asking because I don't use a USb cable, my GP32 didn't come wiht it so I use a SMC reade, cery easier for transfering files.

How do you play comcertial games with Slubman's firmware, there is a plugin for t on his website but I don't get how they would work since you would be puting in a GAME SMC card?

The only thing other then that, that I didn't like about Slubman's is the BIOS monitor was veru annoying and some emulators would not reboot like FSMS etc.

IS there a way to run off the BIOS monitor?

I made my own. Displays this on startup:

splash.gif

and makes a loud MOOOOO noise!

Boots YAFL if I press A or B, the Gamepark Euro firmware if I press the shoulder buttons (which I only use for games YAFL won't load) or if I press Select, it reads a config file of the SMC and boots the file specified i that, usually an MP3 player.

If you press Start, it does nothing and stops responding; hopefully if any pikeys pick it up, they'll try pressing this and find they can't get it working. Well, that's the theory anyway.

Attachments

• splash.gif
    splash.gif
    25.9 KB · Views: 150
chris posted on May 29 2005 at 02:51 PM said:
I made my own. Displays this on startup:

splash.gif

and makes a loud MOOOOO noise!

Boots YAFL if I press A or B, the Gamepark Euro firmware if I press the shoulder buttons (which I only use for games YAFL won't load) or if I press Select, it reads a config file of the SMC and boots the file specified i that, usually an MP3 player.

If you press Start, it does nothing and stops responding; hopefully if any pikeys pick it up, they'll try pressing this and find they can't get it working. Well, that's the theory anyway.

Chris that is very cool!!! What firmware are you using?? What format or software did you use to convert to gif format for your splash screen?

Attachments

• splash.gif
    splash.gif
    25.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited by a moderator:
tattooman posted on May 29 2005 at 09:07 PM said:
Chris that is very cool!!! What firmware are you using?? What format or software did you use to convert to gif format for your splash screen?

All coded myself, I'm afraid The splash screen is a built-in bitmap and has only been converted to gif format to show you all.

chris posted on May 29 2005 at 03:46 PM said:
tattooman posted on May 29 2005 at 09:07 PM said:

All coded myself, I'm afraid The splash screen is a built-in bitmap and has only been converted to gif format to show you all.

Ok, what firmware did you code it into and what firmware are you using?

Would you please share this with us? Did you just create a bitmap to certain specs and then use a hex editor? Please enlighten me...

Blah posted on May 29 2005 at 03:57 PM said:
Its a bit more complicated than that :rolleyes:

Again please enlighten me, all I keep hearing is it's done a certain way.

I mean does it envolve programming or what? I am sure it't can't be too hard, if Chris can do it then why can't we?

Deleted User posted on May 29 2005 at 10:01 PM said:
cos chris is jesus #2

:D LOL! Basically, yes it does involve programming. If the source if of any use to you, you can have it.

chris posted on May 29 2005 at 04:10 PM said:
cos chris is jesus #2

:D LOL! Basically, yes it does involve programming. If the source if of any use to you, you can have it.

Thanks for the explaination, I just dislike when other to not share knowledge.

Sure, I would like to take a look at the source code. However, you never answered my other question, what firmware are you using?

tattooman posted on May 29 2005 at 03:13 PM said:
chris posted on May 29 2005 at 04:10 PM said:
cos chris is jesus #2

Thanks for the explaination, I just dislike when other to not share knowledge.

Sure, I would like to take a look at the source code. However, you never answered my other question, what firmware are you using?

The firmware he's using is the custom built one that the source code he's talking about belongs to. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

If you feel like sharing then do so and if not then don't.

Most likley you are just using ZED and created your own background...

Someday I'll make a special one for myself with password protection. :ph34r:

edit: And I'm using the defualt BLU firmware for now.

Back