Your Opinions Needed!

Would you find a new Open Source console news website useful?

• Yes, definitely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I''d visit, and if it was relevant to my interests, I''d come back

• I''m not sure

• Nope, I''m fine thanks

• Total voters

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Website
Visit site
So as a few of you know, I and some other forum members have been working on a brand new website, focused on Open Source consoles. It focuses mainly on:
  • Pandora
  • Wiz
  • Dingoo
  • iPhone and iPod Touch (Jailbroken apps)
  • GP2x
  • GP32
  • Zodiac
However, we're fully aware that without you guys, there is no way the website can be successful. So as the site is about to go live, I decided to perform a bit of research.

Whatever happens, the main focus is to provide a balanced and un-biased news website for all the above consoles. We've got a great system where all users can join in and post news, and it's highly optimised for RSS readers and portable gadgets (It looks great on an iPhone, and will do on the Pandora), as well as your computers.

However, we know that the community is important to you guys. We have a large forum set up, much like this one. But we don't want to step on any toes and appreciate that not a lot of people post in more than one forum. So we're researching on how useful you guys would find a forum, and whether or not it's required. What we're definitely not going to do is a chip-style "time to pack up your stuff and move" thing. We know you're settled in here.

Anyway, thanks in advance for joining in and helping us create this website for you. We're very excited, and we hope you will be too

Before you guys make a definate desision, please don't forget this forum has got some changes in the pipeline.

P.S. I wonder who's going to be the first nutter to vote "I'm not sure" :D

Last edited by a moderator:
How about adding G1, Openmoko and ARM netbooks?
Sounds somewhat interesting. I'd like to read what's going on on the devices I don't own, yet. If I get round to it I might even write some news myself. What I definitely don't have time for, though, is yet another forum to check. Make it small or avoid it, I think it's not a good idea to try to compete with GP32X. If you focus on user contributed news and well moderated comments, that might work out well. B)

OrR said:
How about adding G1, Openmoko and ARM netbooks?
Sounds somewhat interesting. I'd like to read what's going on on the devices I don't own, yet. If I get round to it I might even write some news myself. What I definitely don't have time for, though, is yet another forum to check. Make it small or avoid it, I think it's not a good idea to try to compete with GP32X. If you focus on user contributed news and well moderated comments, that might work out well. B)
That's actually a great suggestion. While I'm loathed to add too many devices to the site, if there are people like yourself who are willing to submit news based on them, I'll do it!

Instead of just iPhones, why not make it mobile phones in general? Android seems like the type of thing that would be of interest to a community like that, and of course S60 is still around and open for development.

I wouldn't bother visiting to be honest. Between Wraggster's dcemu and Guyfawkes emuBoards and this place I really don't see the point. News gets around, where would you be sourcing your news from? I am betting all of the above and GP32Spain.

Good luck in your future endeavors though. :)

[*]GP2x
[*]GP32
[*]Zodiac
A quick loading news site with links to the source or file to download would be great. It would be nice for one stop shopping for news, but how about pc freeware /open source games?

Honestly, my forum needs for consoles is pretty well served by gp32x.de, but I would like a forum where the focus is PC open source games and I would want to get the news, not post it. I'm just being honest but I don't think I could put the time in to check out all the different sources for possible news and then updating the new site.

Chris

Back