YouTube-DL & Other Open Source Projects V/s Squibs and Muggles

My video server is mostly run headless, connecting to it over ssh to download and preprocess my videos for me. It does have a monitor attached and an install of i3 running on it, but that's mainly for if this machine goes down and I need a machine to do research on to bring it back up.

Haha.

FWIW, a music video posted here in the past few days somewhere (I can't be arsed to find it now, but I recall it wasn't posted to the 'what music' thread), failed to download in the youtube-dl project as published before this takedown, but the newer released version posted from their gitlab source works just fine. In other words youtube owners google are still trying to break this project, or at the very least made changes which did break it, but the project maintainers are still able to work together and fix their project.

Edit: And that user 'fucktheRIAA' seems to have been summarily deleted from github. Probably because they used a rude word I guess.

Not really a backfire. The user made the post, the user got deleted. There's no sense of additional stuff coming down on him, which would be pretty much the definition of a good backfire, it's more of a reset to the beginning.

the dissapearance of the github link would prevent an update of youtube-dl inside "The Tube," I would need to check..

A bit "off topic". I have made a youtube-dl/ffplay/mplayer frontend for RISC OS port of this tools. ;-)

A small video you find here .

Is not possible to watch youtube directly via Browser in RISC OS. The browser are not support this but you can drag the URL from browser to the YTPlay icon or use the search list ;-)

EFF letter to GitHub.

This looks pretty good. This "takedown mecanism" seems fair (at least you have a chance to defend/explain yourself, and you are not-guilty until proven otherwise). Compare to just DMCA were your are just guilty, by someone else standard.

Reactions: rSl
I like the "screwing" part :^)

Reactions: rSl
Can @docbroke or a mod change the thread title please? Youtube-dl was never actually taken down; even during it's absence from Github they managed to release an update, and their presence on github has since been restated.

Perhaps the new title should be 'Big business versus the open source community (was: youtube-dl taken down)'

Back