Zelda Classic

I remember a while ago (a year ago, maybe?), a Zelda Classic developer was sent a free GP2X after he agreed to port Zelda Classic to our beloved handheld.

As far as I know, we're still waiting for this port. :(

Is there any official word on what happened?

The most recent stable release is version 2.10, which runs on Windows. Ports for Linux, Mac OS X and the GP2X handheld are also currently in the making, due for release with the next version, 2.5.
--Jun 15 2007, 10:54 AM

I will love this as I have never played original Zelda (always been meaning to try it) and all the new quests will make this a must have port. Wow!

There a GFX rips of zelda's roms all over the net. If some one like making zelda-themed original homebrew.

quasist said:
There a GFX rips of zelda's roms all over the net. If some one like making zelda-themed original homebrew.
Zelda Classic has tools to make your own levels and a huge community around the whole thing. The generated content is bound to have something to offer over those hacked roms.

Last edited by a moderator:
imhotep said:
quasist said:
Zelda Classic has tools to make your own levels and a huge community around the whole thing. The generated content is bound to have something to offer over those hacked roms.

He wasn't talking about hacked roms, he was talking about using graphics ripped from roms to create an original Zelda game.

But yeah, it will be one hell of a port, considering the massive amount of content that's available for it. :)

Alex. said:
He wasn't talking about hacked roms, he was talking about using graphics ripped from roms to create an original Zelda game.
"Zelda-themed" I was talking. Like :Four Swords for instance. With improved gameplay ofcourse

Ah, finally, very cool.
It was me who donated a gp2x (before the MK2 was even out...)
Last thing I knew was a half-working version for the gp2x a few months ago.

There are LOTS of free Quests available for Zelda Classic, some are as good as real Zelda games. This and Cave Story are top-notch ports for the gp2x :D

EvilDragon said:
This and Cave Story are top-notch ports for the gp2x :D
That's for sure. A good choice for your donation, EvilDragon. :)

Never even heard of this before your link. PC version is awesome, I can't wait for the GP2X version (though I gotta fix my 2x, bad flash, and bad financial situation right now.)

like icurafu said, that quote from the forum (and in turn from the wiki page) is dated from june.

however, this *is* worth getting your hopes up for:

zc beta downloads

i think this is actually what argor was referring to. the fact that 2.5 is in beta (though the builds are referred to as alpha?) right now and apparently there's a working linux build. no source though.

there are a lot of quests and stuff, i played this a long time ago and remember thinking it was cool, i think you could play the original with LTTP graphics?

i think that for a project that's been shuffled around & stalled so much (close to 10 years!), it probably should have been open to begin with, but whatever. then again, i guess someone could have made or adapted an existing sdl tile-based 2d game engine...it's just a very niche thing.

but there are lots of homebrew packs for it, so it should be cool if it's released. plus, considering that ED basically sent $200 their way, it'd be awfully nice of them.

Back