Zip Playstation Isos To Save Space?

rmm2131

Hi everyone has it been clarified by zodttd if playstation games in bin-cue or iso format can be zipped and played from an SDHC in Pandora for space saving? Adata 16gb SDcards any good?
3rd question: Is Stella going to be ported to Pandora? Thx.

Saving my pennies for this holiest of holys. :pandora1: <_<

Is it possible to considerate texture, movie and audio compressing to save space in PSX games?
I can't believe those games are so big...

psx4gp2x can load the compressed .Z format(pocketiso can compress to is)

Ayla said:
Is it possible to considerate texture, movie and audio compressing to save space in PSX games?
I can't believe those games are so big...

The movies and audio are already compressed, and the games are big exactly because of the cool video and audio :) As stated, psx4all supports .Z (PocketISO) files and will support PSP eboot-converted images as well. Personally I'd trust more in the eboot format because .Z support is a bit unstable, and there are numerous utilities to convert games to the PSP eboot format out there.

Oh, and an observation in the eoobt merit. Ones from the PSP scene may know you need a base.pbp file (or equivalent) to get some stuff to construct the eboot file. We will have no use for the part gotten from those copyright-protected files, so you can just use a dummy (ie: any) file as a base.pbp. In any case we should also release a version of popstation (the converter) that just packs the image in there without using the base.pbp stuff.

edit: also there are numerous tutorials on removing movies and music from PS1 games to get them smaller, as my friend Google can tell you. However, a good deal of games simply refuse to work when you remove certain stuff, and/or depending on how you do it. To be exact what you should do with these games is swap the huge video and audio files in the CD image (if they are in a standard format) for smaller, dummy files (usually provided in the tutorials), but KEEP THE FILES IN THE SAME OFFSET inside the CD image. In practice that will mean that the image file itself won't be any smaller, but as it will be mostly filled with zeros it will compress much, MUCH better later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't format any of my SD cards in anything else than FAT or FAT32 simply because mostly nothing else would be able to read them... unless of course you only want to access your card in systems that support a particular file system, then that's OK :)

Hmm, in fact I through the music / videos on PSX games were uncompressed...
Thanks for the explanation :)

Tinnus said:
I wouldn't format any of my SD cards in anything else than FAT or FAT32 simply because mostly nothing else would be able to read them... unless of course you only want to access your card in systems that support a particular file system, then that's OK :)
No, I mean have the .iso files as SquashFS with lzma compression.

Thanks Prophet, Tinnus, and everyone. I thought about the pocketiso format but it seemed to change the original isos, leaving out some data to compress it, making it impossible to rebuild them into their original size. Personally I want to play my unchanged isos on my computer with the new epsxe 1.7(without using the cdr moby plugin) so zip seems to be a good compromise if its possible. I would prefer .rar but the pandora is not strong enough I believe for that better compression format compared to zip. ;)

Eboot is interesting but does it really compress the isos enough to make it worth it and will it retain all the audio and video data in the original to make it better for storage? My wish is I want to keep just one set of isos as zips that can be unzipped for epsxe 1.7 on my PC and as zips for Pandora without any eboot or pocketiso .zx converting. Converting(changing) a file is not as optimal and i'm 100% sure zipping keeps the original file aspects intact. Can anyone confirm or deny my theories, concerns? :)

ZIP and RAR are not possible because they compress (and hence require to decompress) everything at once. Compression methods especially devised for CD images compress "blocks" (some predefined number of sectors) separately. The EBOOT format supports this kind of compression (it compresses each block with deflate). In average it compresses by a factor of 20-40% which is what those "block-at-a-time" methods usually manage to. You can also get the original image file from the EBOOT format (there are also numerous apps that do this).

Also, you can compress stuff with the PocketISO format without removing anything if you so want.

Ayla said:
Hmm, in fact I through the music / videos on PSX games were uncompressed...
Thanks for the explanation :)
i dont think you realize how big uncompressed video is...
even low resolution video at 320x240 (full tv rez is 720x480) by my calculations would be less than 2 and a half minutes of video on one cd.

320*240*16 = 1228800 (how many bits needed per frame)
1228800*30/8 = 4608000 (how many bytes per second)
4608000/1024/1024 = 4.39 megabytes/second
650/4.39/60 = 2.47 minutes for a 650mb cd

and full tv rez would be about 20megabytes/second...
even dvds are compressed to around 1.3megabyte/second.

rmm21 said:
... with the new epsxe 1.7...
Holy cow! You mean they've released a new version? After 4 or 5 years of inactivity?!

/me runs to the home page.

Lobo said:
rmm21 said:
... with the new epsxe 1.7...
Holy cow! You mean they've released a new version? After 4 or 5 years of inactivity?!

/me runs to the home page.

LOL, that is what I thought too!

5 days ago a release after 5 years!! That is cool for sure.

Tinnus said:
ZIP and RAR are not possible because they compress (and hence require to decompress) everything at once. Compression methods especially devised for CD images compress "blocks" (some predefined number of sectors) separately. The EBOOT format supports this kind of compression (it compresses each block with deflate). In average it compresses by a factor of 20-40% which is what those "block-at-a-time" methods usually manage to. You can also get the original image file from the EBOOT format (there are also numerous apps that do this).

Also, you can compress stuff with the PocketISO format without removing anything if you so want.
Thanks for the info Tinnus.
I guess i'll just have my playstation games as rars, bin/cue for epsxe, and eboot/key for the SDHC i'll be buying soon. Maybe I can squeeze them as bin/cues onto the Pandora SDHC card and forget about avi movies until 32 GB card prices come down, assuming zodttd doesn't do away with iso/bin-cue for exclusivity of EBOOT format in his ps1 emu. :lol:

:pandora1: :pandora1: :pandora1:

Tinnus said:
The movies and audio are already compressed, and the games are big exactly because of the cool video and audio :) As stated, psx4all supports .Z (PocketISO) files and will support PSP eboot-converted images as well.
Great news about supporting PSP eboot files... Especially for all those PSP owning people. :)

I was checking ngemu when I saw the new epsxe 1.7 news post. I can verify that it is a HUGE improvement over 1.6 using the just updated Pete's Plugins. Check Petes site for the plugin update for P.E.Op.S. Soft GPU (Windows) Version 1.18b to avoid a crash from older 1.18. www.pbernert.com

Pec works fine with it also and the built-in sound plugin actually plays background music in Hong Kong in Twisted Metal 2. :lol:
You don't need to mount an iso with daemon tools now as epsxe 1.7 can now load bin, cue, iso, ccd, mdf etc... Awesome!!! B)

Still buying a Pandora. :pandora1:

rmm21 said:
Maybe I can squeeze them as bin/cues onto the Pandora SDHC card and forget about avi movies until 32 GB card prices come down, assuming zodttd doesn't do away with iso/bin-cue for exclusivity of EBOOT format in his ps1 emu. :lol:

OUR "ps1 emu" :p

And dammit, for the 10th time, WE WON'T BE REMOVING SUPPORT FOR ANY FILE FORMATS BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE! I don't know why everyone thinks we will actually REMOVE support for something!

Tinnus, I wonder if it's a side-effect of a world where popular programs losing features has become a concern on other platforms. (I know - however illogical it is - that that was at the root of why I asked a couple of weeks ago. And it's crazy, I know. :p)

Back