128GB Lexar SDXC card benchmarks

Meanwhile, I hope you don't mind that I take offense at your slamming my moral and ethical integrity (cover up? WTF?) in casual posts where I have backed up my claims to levels far beyond any required of any other user on here.
I'm sorry you think I'm slamming your morals and integrity. That wasn't my intention. Allow me to explain further, I suppose.

Frankly, I could state that, "The time is 12:25 PM," and have 4+ people require proof that I was, indeed, in a time zone where at that moment it was 12:25 +/- 60 seconds.

Not a martyr, just a guy with a big target on his head for having called BS on several others here. I'm fine with that.
See, this is what I'm talking about. You have an "everyone is out to get me" mentality to the point that you invent a ridiculous scenario that I don't even think you believe would actually happen. I am not out to get you, I don't think anyone is out to get you. You posted your assumptions of the problems you encountered as fact, assumptions which (in this case) were questionable at best and some provably wrong.

However, I state things as I see them. I provide information to back up my claims. I even answer questions as they arise to the best of my ability based on the information at hand. There is a huge tendency on these boards to answer serious questions with personal quips that don't answer anything.
I agree, there is such a tendency. The "magic nub dance" is another one of those. I've already spoken out against that, and I will speak out against other "cargo cult" style advice as I encounter it, especially ones which I know to be wasteful (such as running applications from one location and then moving it).

If you're going to make 100% clearly false statements about my personal integrity, though, I can and will take offense at it.
Or you can question me if that was my intention or if maybe there's something else going on that you don't understand. You might start to notice a theme here.

"You were chastised for making provably false statements and carrying on an argument that no one was debating against." False.
Not false, that's exactly why I chastised you. You encountered an error, made an assumption, and then proceeded to give bad advice about that assumption as if it were fact instead of asking why such a thing, against all logic, would have happened.

"you try to cover it up like that it doesn't help anyone." False. I have -never- covered up my mistakes. I do not re-edit posts. I post resolutions to issues that I found - as well as the false tracks I followed on the way to my solution. If anything, I'm guilty of providing too much information of the problem solving involved.
When I said there was no mechanism in libpnd that would allow a PND to work in one location but not the other, you simply said "well it did". You didn't make any motion to try and establish if there might have been some other problem that just happened to correspond to what you did. This is a coverup, asserting a perceived problem without knowing the source, and leads to the bad advice you gave by lack of understanding. This helps no one. That's what I was talking about.

" if someone points out that the problem you are experiencing really can't be what you think it is say "oops, good point. Here is what is happening and maybe it is something else then...""

Because clearly if someone else states, "It can't do that," while offering no explanation or proof - they must be right and I must be wrong even though I am watching it "do that". OK. Sure. Do you have any clue how asinine that logic is? If "someone" states it "can't be what you think it is"? Wow - we're going to need a list of these people who are always right so we know who's statements are infallible and should never be questioned.
I think you're missing the point. If someone says something that you don't believe, ask them for proof. If you don't believe me that there's no mechanism in libpnd for a PND that would allow it to do what you say, then you just have to ask and I'll gladly show you in the code itself how I know this. You used your anecdote as "proof" that that's what it did, you had a correlation and immediately assumed causation; I provided my knowledge of the libpnd system to say that what you had experienced is most likely rooted in something else: that's not anecdotal, I can point to the parts of the script which mount the PND anonymously and run the scripts within the XML with no link to the source directory at all.

In that previous thread I supplied proof that what the naysayers were stating wasn't actually true - that we could get the source code for ExFAT and that we could use it for free under a GPL license. None of them bothered to even look at the link I provided to the source and license before going off on it.
You misunderstood that debate. You wanted to add ExFat, and provided a link to a free driver implementation. The arguments against using exFat wasn't about whether the driver was free or not, it's whether the algorithm is free or not. Microsoft owns the patent for exFat; slaeshjag thought they were charging royalties for the use of it, which OPT would have had to pay regardless of whether the actual implementation is GPL and free or not. Microsoft is currently saying that the patent can be used royalty free: the driver you linked to is a free implementation of that patent. The license on the driver makes absolutely no difference if Microsoft suddenly decides to start charging royalties on their patent. If they do, even if we are using a GPL licensed driver, OPT would still be required to pay royalties to Microsoft. That was the concern that slaeshjag and onpon raised, it had nothing to do with paying royalties for the driver itself. Linking the free driver was useful, but certainly didn't solve the problem. In case you didn't notice, I was right there with you arguing in favour of exFat, and even slaeshjag and onpon agreed there was no reason not to once their fears of Microsoft pulling a Unisys had been abated. Everyone agreed! And you continued to carry on as if we weren't. It's only now that I see it's because you thought we were talking about having to pay for the driver, not licensing fees to Microsoft, and for that I apologize, I thought I had explained the situation well enough but I guess not everyone necessarily understands how different licenses apply at the various levels of software. Incidentally, this is why NTFS, MP3, and a few other things are included in the Community Codec Pack: while the code itself is available open source and totally free of charge, the companies that own the patents on these technologies charge royalties for their use, and a commercial product like the Pandora would have to pay if they were included.

Do you have any idea how insulting you're being?
Exactly as insulting as you expect me to be. I don't mean to be insulting, but if I'm not explaining well enough and you've already got a victim attitude you are going to be insulted unless you ask for clarification. I'm sorry, I'll try to avoid any ambiguity that could lead to insult, but sometimes what seems obvious to me is not so to others.

Can anyone tell me if they ever managed to format one of these Lexar 128's as a single FAT32 partition?

Because that is what I want.

FAT32 very stable in my experience, the only catch being you can't put a file bigger than 4GB on one, it won't take.  It will tell you not enough room on the disk, no matter how much you actually have.

But, since I never have files that big, anyway, this limitation is not a problem for me.

I just like a file system that will survive many writes and rewrites, and I thnk FAT32 is best for this.  Plus it works out of the box on my windows machine, which makes it all the better.

Can anyone tell me if they ever managed to format one of these Lexar 128's as a single FAT32 partition?

FAT32 very stable in my experience, the only catch being you can't put a file bigger than 4GB on one, it won't take.  It will tell you not enough room on the disk, no matter how much you actually have.

But, since I never have files that big, anyway, this limitation is not a problem for me.

I just like a file system that will survive many writes and rewrites, and I thnk FAT32 is best for this.  Plus it works out of the box on my windows machine, which makes it all the better.

Eehm, FAT is pretty much guaranteed to get corrupted if you're not careful with it....

And it issues several tiny writes for every write, which is slow and quite damaging to your flashcard... (though it'll take decades of heavy use to kill it...)

Your question have been answered : 

tumblr_md3p0xrgqy1r0z99do1_500.jpg

But there are alternatives to FAT32 that works natively with windows (NTFS, exFAT) and won't "kill" your SD card faster than FAT32.

On pandora, to use those alternatives, you either need the codec pack pnd (I guess almost everybody has installed that) for NTFS or the exFAT pnd… for exFAT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the possible thread jacking but if someone does not care about Windows connectivity what FS is the most recommended for the SD card on the Pandora? Ext4?

Some SD cards have wear levelling built in, in which case your choice of filesystem is basically moot. Find out if your SD card has wear levelling and install Ext4 if it does, or whatever you want.

If it doesn't, and you're worried about it, there's a number of supported filesystems that'll do it for you. UBIFS should work well enough.

If you aren't worried about it then why bother asking? :p

Ultimately I'd say just install Ext4 regardless of wear levelling. Unless you're doing a lot of major writes to the card it'll still last for years. Just do an fsck against it every once in a while looking for bad blocks.

I have several of these 128GB Lexar cards now.  From my trial and error, ext2 is the fastest on them.

Kumaki - install the exFAT.pnd driver that came out a few months ago, then simply use these cards right out of the packaging without reformating them.  That is likely your easiest solution.

I have never had reason to try formatting the whole thing as FAT32 - though I have left that as the default format on some of my 16GB and 32GB cards.

Something to consider - 128GB times 2 = 256GB.  That is a boat-ton of space for one of these.  If you have a ginormous music & video library to play back on it or are using it professionally, then it can be useful.  If you're using it for emulation and a modest music library, etc...  you might consider buying a pair of 32GB cards and saving yourself some money?  That decision is yours and based on your planned usage though.

If you're using it for emulation and a modest music library, etc... you might consider buying a pair of 32GB cards and saving yourself some money?
I own about 50 PSX games and 40 Nintendo DS Games.

Also my Music collection is about 50GB.

Now say one CD of a PSX games is 700MB and a DS game is 4MB-512MB.

Good luck with 32 GB cards :)

At the moment, I use 3 µSD cards of various small capacity (2Go to 8Go), initially bundled with various devices.

The first one is the "main" card that I almost never remove from slot 1. It contains all the softwares I use frequently and some of my favourite games/roms.

The second one is containing the games and roms I play less frequently.

The third contains music and rockbox… that's all.

It's a nice setup IMHO, my Xfce menu "adapts" to my activity, it feels less messy.

The downside is that it's a bit more work to keep PND up-to-date, since they're not on "always inside pandora" cards.

Even with that little annoyance, I'm thinking about getting cheap an small SD cards to make thematic cards. (Samsung 4Go, class 4 can be found on amazon for about 5,60€. Transcend 4Go class 6 for about 5,70€ …)

That way I'll be able to make a card dedicated to old computers (amiga, apple][, …), another one to 8bit consoles, another one to PSX (actually PSX card should be rather large, I own quite a few multi-disc games), etc.

I would love to be able to afford larger "main" and "music" SD cards. (32 or 64Go)

That would allow me to install SL4P (or superzaxxon and get rid of the 512Mo limit) and have all my music library with me.

I have several of these 128GB Lexar cards now.  From my trial and error, ext2 is the fastest on them.

Kumaki - install the exFAT.pnd driver that came out a few months ago, then simply use these cards right out of the packaging without reformating them.  That is likely your easiest solution.

I have never had reason to try formatting the whole thing as FAT32 - though I have left that as the default format on some of my 16GB and 32GB cards.

Something to consider - 128GB times 2 = 256GB.  That is a boat-ton of space for one of these.  If you have a ginormous music & video library to play back on it or are using it professionally, then it can be useful.  If you're using it for emulation and a modest music library, etc...  you might consider buying a pair of 32GB cards and saving yourself some money?  That decision is yours and based on your planned usage though.
Well, I am building a ginormous video library.

Obviously, I'd like it on as few cards as possible.

So the bigger, the better.

Back