600 Mhz Powerful Enough To

so wait if it leaks power during standby, why do we prefer it?
sorry, this talk of different versions of the processor is confusing my small brain... :(

The next cool Samsung phone? Secret Apple MID, Nokia N900.

All these things should be developed using LP as you leave them on standby when you are not using them.

Maybe if it was a basic PMP it would be turned off from time to time, but who would invest in a SoC with so many features to treat it like that?

Magicman5421 - It all comes down to what type of user you are. Would you ever put your console in standby for very long periods of time like you would a phone.

I really don't understand why someone would want standby for anything but their phone. If you aren't using something, turn it off, trust me it won't need near as much power in the off position. Pretty simple.

whiskthecat said:
I really don't understand why someone would want standby for anything but their phone. If you aren't using something, turn it off, trust me it won't need near as much power in the off position. Pretty simple.
I disagree. Say you're in the middle of some intense Pandora gaming, and all of a sudden the phone rings or you see a good movie on TV that catches your eye. Just pause the game, close the lid, and come back to it in 15 minutes or 4 hours without going through any hassle whatsoever to get back to where you were. The more flexibility available, the better :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex. said:
whiskthecat said:
I disagree. Say you're in the middle of some intense Pandora gaming, and all of a sudden the phone rings or you see a good movie on TV that catches your eye. Just pause the game, close the lid, and come back to it in 15 minutes or 4 hours without going through any hassle whatsoever to get back to where you were. The more flexibility available, the better :)

To each his own, but I'd rather just save state on the current game. For some reason I just don't like standby modes, hibernate is good though.

whiskthecat said:
For some reason I just don't like standby modes, hibernate is good though.
Neither do I. Standby modes are deceptive (did I really turn it off?) and still use power. I'd much rather turn the whole thing off, save that extra bit of juice, and load it back up again. Standby mode also gives me a grubby, dirty feeling inside. :)

Also, hibernation in Linux is very unstable. I don't know why it is in Ubuntu, because every machine I've tested it on has not restored properly from hibernation. Don't count on it working right in the Pandora either without some developer work first.

javaJake said:
whiskthecat said:
For some reason I just don't like standby modes, hibernate is good though.
Neither do I. Standby modes are deceptive (did I really turn it off?) and still use power. I'd much rather turn the whole thing off, save that extra bit of juice, and load it back up again. Standby mode also gives me a grubby, dirty feeling inside. :)

Also, hibernation in Linux is very unstable. I don't know why it is in Ubuntu, because every machine I've tested it on has not restored properly from hibernation. Don't count on it working right in the Pandora either without some developer work first.

CraigIX has stated that the device will absolutely be able to suspend to RAM (sleep), suspend to disk (hibernate), and fully shut down, all at your discretion. I don't remember the exact post, but he did say all three modes were considered a must.

sbock said:
The dev board runs @550Mhz. That is all we now for sure...
The current dev board is capable of running at 550Mhz, but it sure doesn't run at that speed by default.

Doesn't it use more power to start up a machine from a cold start? I could be crazy, bu it always seems that way with my laptop.

Both features are highly advantageous for different users. I love the instant-sleep feautre on the DS since I can play in short bursts and not have to go through a cumbersome save/shutdown process. On the Gp2x that was a huge hassle because not all emulators even supported savestates, and if they did, waiting for the thing to boot, finding the app, running it, loading the ROM and then the state took over a minute and a half....

at the same time being able to FULLY shutdown when not in use for extended periods is an important design feature. But from my experience with ARM based devices much LESS power efficient than the OMAP3 series, the amount of power used in a deep standby mode is almost nonexistant. You can put such devices in standby for days at a time, sometimes over a week.... all that really needs power is the memory controller to keep RAM refreshed.

Back