-

It's amazing how many apps  post on your social media accounts like Facebook on your behalf. I must admit , apps these days are getting pretty invasive.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Which is why I don't use such apps. If I see anything with a facebook logo on that requires me to input data, I walk away, or try it in incognito mode just to make sure it won't do anything behind my back.

Such FUD. What's he saying about Microsoft and Stuxnet? And if closed-source code review is so good, how come we had the Apple goto fail?

I can understand why McAfee is paranoid, that goes without saying, but Jones? Sheesh! I don't normally watch his stuff, but this just proves he's not got any better. And to be fair to McAfee, I can't see a rebuttal from Bank of America on their website. I guess it's a granularity issue with Android permissions, but without analysing it myself I can't tell.

Note for others: Only the first five minutes of the first video have anything to do with heartbleed. The rest is an advert for McAfee's new Android app. Thanks for wasting my bandwidth, zev.

Yeah Jones was more anti-MS than McAfee was.

Don't worry, I wasn't really blaming you for forcing me to watch it, just rounding off my own bile. It's my choice when I click on the video.

Still, I've not watched an Alex Jones video for a few years now, and was genuinely unfamiliar with how commercial his show was. Live and learn I guess.

As for the firewall, that's what these permissions are meant to be. The idea is that you permit these apps various categories of access when you install them, so that if you install a game you can see what it tries to access. You generally can't install it but deny it access to your camera, or your contacts or whatever, it's generally more of an all-or-nothing thing. Either install it with the permissions it needs, or do without it.

It's interesting that the BoA app needs camera access. Either it got that access as part of another access category, though I can't think of what, or it got it because it sometimes needs to scan QR codes, and front and back cameras aren't distinguished, or that applied a catch-all license to it because of inexperienced developers. Or of course they're actually doing something nasty with it, but I'd honestly be surprised if they have the storage to store so many hours of video.

As for OpenSSL only having four developers, that's true. It's a valid point about it's users being cheap for using it to make money and not paying forp proper Q/A. My point was though, by invoking Apple's goto bug was to point out that this sort of bug would likely not be found by traditonal integration testing or even unit testing in the case of Heartbleed, but instead needs proper code review. Something that's easier to do with open source code than it is with closed source code, although it is a valid point that the OpenSSL heartbeat code wasn't code reviewed properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back