A Few Questions About The, Yes The Gp2x

maxitwist

Still Fresh
Hey, new here (not gonna say hey all!, as that really annoys me)
few questions, looked at the f.a.q which semi- answered my questions, here they are:

1. How big (memory wise) can an sd card be, can it go all the way up to 8GB and still be compatible with the gp2x?

2. is their a usb host on the player? or do you nedd the breakout board (whatever that does) for that?

3. The video
cable also says that you can play games on the tv, How?

4. what are emalulators? it seems to me that their just games someone's made for the gp2x based on games for other consoles.

Hey, old here (not gonnaanswer your questions, because you didn't "hey all" :) )

1) At the moment, the biggest SD cards supported are 4 GB.
2) No there's not, you will have to buy either breakout board, or if you are after low/self powered devices you can use a cable made by Richard Taylor for that purpose.
3) It outputs whats on the GP2X's screen to your TV after it is scaled up, although programs (players, games or emulators) should be compiled using specific development kits, which is very easy and most of the applications here support it already.
4) ...
An emulator is an application that is used to run software/games written for another machine, for example, a Play Station emulator for the PC lets you play Play Station games on a PC, GP2X have emulators written/ported specifically for it, you can check the wiki to get a good idea what the GP2X can emulate and what it can't. Important thing that should be mentioned, emulators are made by people's efforts in their spare time, Game Park Holding are not responsible for them in anyway.

Edit: Here is the link to the wiki page I told you about:
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Emulation_Speculation

About 4GB cards
- Make sure they are not SDHC (most are not). The GP2X doesn't support this standard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digita...-_compatibility
- Preferrably check it in your unit before you buy it
- Always format as FAT32 (not FAT) or you wont get the full 4GB of available space.
- Get a card reader:-
Allows you to format card if needed
A dead GP2X battery during a file transfer can cause file system corruption

Don't let the above scare you off, 4GB cards are well worth it

Oh, and if you are considering to buy a gp2x, you might want consider if you really want it. Its mostly for emulation and homebrew, two things you never have heard of, and also it is quite tricky to obtain the emulated games if you can´t even find out what emultion is on your own.

Oh, and if you are considering to buy a gp2x, you might want consider if you really want it. Its mostly for emulation and homebrew, two things you never have heard of, and also it is quite tricky to obtain the emulated games if you can´t even find out what emultion is on your own.

wo man, slow down I think I'll decide if I want to buy it or not, the main reason I might get one is so that I don't have to pay for games, if i got a psp I know I'd Never buy any games, 4 games for it is as much as the console!
o and P.S I know what homebrew is, and if you know it all then explain now what an emaluator is and let other people decide what they want

Last edited by a moderator:

wo man, slow down I think I'll decide if I want to buy it or not, the main reason I might get one is so that I don't have to pay for games, if i got a psp I know I'd Never buy any games, 4 games for it is as much as the console!
o and P.S I know what homebrew is, and if you know it all then explain now what an emaluator is and let other people decide what they want

Dude seriously, I agree with Fishbong here, if you don't know what an emulator is or how to find out (ever heard of "google") then the GP2X is definetly not for you.

You are much better of with the "insert cartridge, turn on unit, play game" type system like the PSP or DS.

Last edited by a moderator:
did google, already said y i dont want a psp or ds, " and through it all are spirits survive" o ya great spirit here................ don't bother replying to this, I'm gonna feic of now

Back