GP32 a GP32 'magazine'...

huzzah! a magazine :D. call it GP32 Monthly, nice and simple. Or Intersplice or CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet32

CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet32 might be a bit too long for a diskmag name! ;)
I was thinking of calling it SoapBox... or maybe Slander... :D

The articles can be about ANYthing... absolutely ANY topic you like... B)

Everything from Aliens to Programming, Reviews to just general rants, or even jokes... its ALL welcome...
The menu is divided into pages. So each page will be a different topic.
Menu pages and topics can change month by month, and each page can hold up to 10 items.

If you want to write an article feel free.
The only limitation is that the text should be no wider than 40 charaters.
(if its any wider the text goes out the screen... :( )
Images too... if you get sent funny images/jokes by email, send them too!
Just make them 8bit and 320x240.

@ rcx21000 : the text for each article will be just a plain text file in a folder. The images will be included in my code as .h files so they will be unavailable to view externally. :(

Thanks for showing interest in the project guys (and gals ? :huh: ).
I'll be looking for articles SOON so if you want to write something? Get started! :D

Sweet, RTj!

I thought I'd answer the venomous replies to my HTML suggestion. There is an HTML format for phones called HDML, and an XML format called WML. Both HDML and WML are designed to be used with small screens and limited keys.

But I think a text viewer and image viewer are fine solutions.
When I or someone else gets the free time, a WML viewer would be great. People could then convert their ebooks to it using some pc tool, as wml supports images, bold, italic, center and a few other limited tags.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

About the viewer ... I think the mag articles should be held in an xml document, as well as the pictures. The picture would be encoded in base64 and included in the xml document in the same way. We'd have xml tags for the menu items, for the articles, for the pictures, and so on. A simple windows editor could be written, which would generate the xml doc. Or we could use one of those already available xml editors. From the gp32 point of view, someone could write an xml parser (be it DOM or not). It should not be very difficult to implement (some parser sources should lie somewhere).

It's only a thought from a programmer, just an idea like that. Don't take my word for it. But choosing a standard could make the life of most devrs easier ...

_tyrell_

I think XML would be going over the top. Really don't need much - word wrap and picture placement can all be done on a desktop, since all GP32s are the same. All the GP32 needs to do is draw text and pictures where its told to.
Using XML would require a proper parser to handle a context free grammer, which is a lot more than is needed.

Out of interest, does anyone know much about ClearType fonts and whether the GP32 can do them?

MojoJojo (sorry for the big words, Shrike :) ),

I don't think xml parser would be too much. A simple parser could be be very easily written (I used to write such a parser some years ago, albeit the aim and the syntax being different). Yes, it would be a little bit more difficult, but at least we would have a way to easily produce/exchange/view the articles on every platform. You think about only text and pictures, but an organized xml doc would allow far greater possibilities : a table of content with pointers to the articles, navigation ... What we simply have to do is define the tags, and I'm pretty sure there's only a dozen of them or so.

_tyrell_

U could have different developer profiles, like info about darkfader and mr spiv .. for example (sorry if i missed u out)

Bah, GP32Emu post anything. We all know it gets to gp32x forums before anywhere else :D

I don't know if XML is required for this, but a generic XML parser would be very useful. We can extend it to WML, HTML, game saves, and so on. It could even be implemented as a library (load the code into memory and execute it, to avoid code duplication).

- Rico

I think XML would be going over the top. Really don't need much - word wrap and picture placement can all be done on a desktop, since all GP32s are the same. All the GP32 needs to do is draw text and pictures where its told to.
Using XML would require a proper parser to handle a context free grammer, which is a lot more than is needed.

Out of interest, does anyone know much about ClearType fonts and whether the GP32 can do them?

With regards to Cleartype ("sub pixel rendering") I think All LCD's/monitors can do it. There's info here about it. There's a cool little demo illustrating the differance as well.

http://grc.com/cleartype.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Back