A Note On Spray Painting Your Gp32s

lek

Website
www.neverendless.com
I've had my black and silver spray painted GP32 case for a while now and have noticed something not-so-good about it ;)

The silver spray paint I used for the buttons, joystick, etc, seems to rub off onto the black casing. This has meant I now have silver smudges between, for example, my A and B buttons. I also get silver smears on my thumbs because of this.

Looks kinda messy and is hard to get off.

I havn't noticed ANY smudging with the black paint though, even when I try to rub it off on purpose.

I can only conclude that the silver paint has a slightly different composition than the "regular" colours. Therefore I would recommend people to avoid using any type of silver or gold or "metal" coloured paints on there GP32.

It *may* be that using a primer before you use the paint, will protect/help against this, I am not sure.

Remember that I used Plastikote spray paint. I do not know whether Krylon-Fusion spray paint exhibits the same problem.

Also... 100th post!!!

Yup, that's why I didn't use these colors, too.

On the spray cans I checked out "Is not rubbing-proof" (or something like that - it was standing there in German ;)) was on every silver can...

The pigment particles in silver paint have to be larger, and flat, to allow reflection to occur. This makes them 'stick out' of the surface of the paint, making the whole surface more bumpy (even if on a microscopic scale). The particles in other colour paints are usually more rounded, so can pack closerr together, and leave a more unbroken surface.

Thats what I seem to remember from reading about it before..!

Axeman posted on Aug 7 2004 at 05:09 PM said:
The pigment particles in silver paint have to be larger, and flat, to allow reflection to occur. This makes them 'stick out' of the surface of the paint, making the whole surface more bumpy (even if on a microscopic scale). The particles in other colour paints are usually more rounded, so can pack closerr together, and leave a more unbroken surface.

Thats what I seem to remember from reading about it before..!
Certainly sounds like it would make silver paints, et al, more prone to smearing.

I learn something new every day :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back