A Portable Machine And Audio, Macro

Jack123

Still Fresh
Hello,

My problem is I would like to run sound forge and winmacro, on a portable computer that I can carry in my pocket or bag as I walk around the city, with it switched on and recording sound every 10 seconds and then playing it back repeating a 100 times or more. But if I could achieve this with any otheir OS besides windows that would be great, Last time I checked Linux still does not have the macro ability sorted out, and I have never played or messed about with a Mac so I don't know the macro ability's for the Mac os.

I was looking at the Pandora, And wondering if any of this is possible, does anybody know of a portable machine that could do this.

thanks,

Jack.

Jack123 said:
But if I could achieve this with any otheir OS besides windows that would be great, Last time I checked Linux still does not have the macro ability sorted out, and I have never played or messed about with a Mac so I don't know the macro ability's for the Mac os.

Hi Jack,

You can definitely configure the Pandora to do this kind of Macro function. On angstrom-linux for ARM, which is what the Pandora will mostly be running, there are a few great options: if you want a visual editor, you can use Audacity (for recording and automation) and set it up with a script or two for playback, and then use an ALSA plugin to do long delay, or if you want to be a bit more specialized you can install and use the Puredata engine - with which you can program your own Macro very specifically to your needs in a few lines of code.

For example, if you want 8 different 'slots' for recording a Macro/scene into, you could assign keys on the pandora keyboard for each slot, and trigger them on different independent intervals, using other keys on the keyboard.

Hmm .. maybe when I next have some time for Puredata, I might just hack up a patch to do something like this .. I'm sure there are a lot of existing patches that do similar things (RJDJ comes to mind..) and that it will be pretty easy once we get our Pandoras, and get these tools all sorted and confirmed running.

There is definitely a lot of interest in using Pandora as an audio toolkit, and in that capacity I'm fairly sure its going to be excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:
torpor said:
Jack123 said:
But if I could achieve this with any otheir OS besides windows that would be great, Last time I checked Linux still does not have the macro ability sorted out, and I have never played or messed about with a Mac so I don't know the macro ability's for the Mac os.

Hi Jack,

You can definitely configure the Pandora to do this kind of Macro function. On angstrom-linux for ARM, which is what the Pandora will mostly be running, there are a few great options: if you want a visual editor, you can use Audacity (for recording and automation) and set it up with a script or two for playback, and then use an ALSA plugin to do long delay, or if you want to be a bit more specialized you can install and use the Puredata engine - with which you can program your own Macro very specifically to your needs in a few lines of code.

For example, if you want 8 different 'slots' for recording a Macro/scene into, you could assign keys on the pandora keyboard for each slot, and trigger them on different independent intervals, using other keys on the keyboard.

Hmm .. maybe when I next have some time for Puredata, I might just hack up a patch to do something like this .. I'm sure there are a lot of existing patches that do similar things (RJDJ comes to mind..) and that it will be pretty easy once we get our Pandoras, and get these tools all sorted and confirmed running.

There is definitely a lot of interest in using Pandora as an audio toolkit, and in that capacity I'm fairly sure its going to be excellent.

Hi torpor,

Ok I need to look into this some more, I am only familiar with GNU Xnee, and when I was trying to use, I could not get them to work because X record or something was still left out of Xorg, I think it's fixed now not sure need to mess with updates for Gnee and check it out. I also do mixing so I would like to play in both forward and reverse, I really love using Sweep audio editor it's so cool:) everybody should check it out:)

Is their a Mic input on the Pandora, also will a usb sound card be able to be added:) This is sounding really cool tho, if I can sort out this macro problem I was having before:) with linux.

thanks,

Jack.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see I just look at the specs and it looks like a usb soundcard is doable perhaps:)

The Pandora features one of the most advanced SoC that are available: The OMAP3530.
Here are the complete specs:
Texas Instruments OMAP3530 processor at 600MHz (officially)
256MB DDR-333 SDRAM
512MB NAND FLASH memory
IVA2+ audio and video processor using TI's DaVinci™ technology (430MHz C64x DSP)
ARM® Cortex™-A8 superscalar microprocessor core
PowerVR SGX530 (110MHz officially) OpenGL ES 2.0 compliant 3D hardware
integrated Wifi 802.11b/g (up to 18dBm output)
integrated Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR (3Mbps) (Class 2, + 4dBm)
800x480 resolution LTPS LCD with resistive touch screen, 4.3" widescreen, 16.7 million colors (300 cd/m2 brightness, 450:1 contrast ratio)
Dual analog controllers
Full gamepad controls plus shoulder buttons
Dual SDHC card slots (up to 64GB of storage currently)
headphone output up to 150mW/channel into 16 ohms, 99dB SNR (up to 24 bit/48KHz)
TV output (composite and S-Video)
Internal microphone plus ability to connect external microphone through headset
Stereo line level inputs and outputs
43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad
USB 2.0 OTG port (1.5/12/480Mbps) with capability to charge device
USB 2.0 HOST port (480Mbps) capable of providing the full 500mA to attached devices (examples include USB memory, keyboard, mouse, 3G modem, GPS)
up to two externally accessible UARTs and/or four PWM signals for hardware hacking, robot control, debugging, etc.
un-brickable design with integrated boot loader for safe code experimentation
Power and hold switch useful for "instant on" and key lockout to aid in media player applications on the go
Runs on the Linux operating system (2.6.x)
Dimensions: 140x83.4x27.5mm
Weight: 335g (with 4000mAh battery)

Hi,

Ok Xnee and gnee can't repeat macro more than once, that is why I never could use it. not sure if I could use audacity with pure date because if I want to reverse the sound, I need to highlight the audio then go on effects and choose reverse, I can do in windows with audacity and winmacro, but yeah it's like I have to press shit+k then ctrl+r then spacebar in audacity if I wanna play in reverse or just ya know other key combo presses for other things. But software with scrubbing is what I am looking for really like Sweep:) but audacity is cool tho, but harder and slower because it has no scrubbing features.

But it would been even better if I could do this with sweep more stable, I manged to do it in sweep with xmacro, but I would like to get it more stable and better.

Can anybody help anymore on this, I am thinking maybe I should make a thread in one of the main forums, so this gets more attention, or maybe one of the mod can move it for me.

Why does all the Macro programs suck on linux why can none of them work like http://winmacro.codeplex.com/

:
Jeeze?

I understand your problem - you mean keyboard/mouse Macro's, not Audio-recording-mode-Macro .. well lets just say that you can accomplish your needs for audio recording without needing to learn/configure/hassle with keyboard/mouse macro's, simply by writing a little program to do what you want.

Question: you want to record audio on an X-second buffer, and play that buffer back Y-seconds later, right? This is a perfect application for Puredata on the Pandora .. I'll be working on getting this built and smooth as soon as I get a Pandora, so if you want this feature lets talk about it when we have real Pandora's in our hands and I can help you get things configured ..

(I know nothing about keyboard/mouse macro recording/playback, by the way .. as a programmer I find the concept abhorrent. :)

Will it be possible to use sweep and xnee, cnee and audacity? I solved my problems and got cnee, working with sweep, and now just wondering if it will be possible with Pandora:)

You need to enable RECORD proto in X.org server by setting in xorg.conf's
ServerFlags section.

if it is not already.

thanks.

http://www.metadecks.org/software/sweep/
http://www.sandklef.com/xnee/
http://www.sandklef.com/xnee/?q=node&q=cnee

Back