A work around for lack of touch input on edges of screen

mcrobinson

Still Fresh
I had been looking for a way to "shrink" the display through resolution or underscanning so that the edges of the desktop do not fall within the touch dead zone at the edge of the screen. But I think I found a better technique. I have added new desktop panels to the top and sides (right click on bottom panel -> new panel). On the bottom panel I increased size slightly under properties and moved menu and show desktop icons away from the edges so they are out of the touch dead zone. Mazimized windows stop at the edge of the panels so you loose some real estate there, but applications toggled to full screen go over the panels. Works pretty well so far.

Screenshot at 2021-02-25 20-27-28.png

This is good idea. I haven't used mate desktop much, but I guess there might be some config option in mate's window manager to keep space on sides when window is created or maximized, so this same idea can work without using panels (that will save some RAM too )

I had been looking for a way to "shrink" the display through resolution or underscanning so that the edges of the desktop do not fall within the touch dead zone at the edge of the screen. But I think I found a better technique. I have added new desktop panels to the top and sides (right click on bottom panel -> new panel). On the bottom panel I increased size slightly under properties and moved menu and show desktop icons away from the edges so they are out of the touch dead zone. Mazimized windows stop at the edge of the panels so you loose some real estate there, but applications toggled to full screen go over the panels. Works pretty well so far.

View attachment 36958
Cool. You can maybe move the indicators to the 3 unused panels (you can't touch but you can see there, so any gadgets merely informative that you don't have to touch, or only occasionally with nubs should be ok). Then you'll have more room in the bottom panel for window buttons .
Thanks for confirming it works. Not all gadgets in my fantasy are written yet i guess.

This is good idea. I haven't used mate desktop much, but I guess there might be some config option in mate's window manager to keep space on sides when window is created or maximized, so this same idea can work without using panels (that will save some RAM too )
I did not realize/think about the panels using up some ram

Interesting idea, I remembered that you can set the Xfce workspaces margins in, well:
workspace -> margin
Interesting, I know you could do it in i3 with gaps. I will have to see if Mate has a similar settings and also increase size of window decoration/control so easier to use with the stylus. Long term I might move to Xfce or i3 but want to help optimize the default desktop a little bit first. Who knows maybe Mate will become my new favorite.

Back