Abusing Pyra as communication device (needs camera)

I really hope so. The Neo900 and the Pyra may have their similarities but they serve two different functions catering to two different (albeit overlapping) niche groups.

They have reasons to freeze accounts with large amounts of money suddenly going into them, although we may not agree with it. I don't know what will happen with the Neo900, but I think it is different enough from the Pyra that it can make it on its own. I do think we should be a little more supportive of these kinds of projects by recommending them when they fit the potential buyer better than the Pyra. Rather than "the Pyra isn't for you" maybe we could offer suggestions like @God Ginrai, or whoever recommended the Neo900, did. I don't know what to recommend for those that want a high end Android device. Maybe a Fairphone 2, although those that only care about specs may not be impressed.

I've read a lot of noise about whether the Pyra can be effectively used as a phone without the aid of external headsets. If I might be so bold, I've thought of a very minor design change that will massively facilitate this. Only @EvilDragon can say whether it's too late in the game to apply this (it probably is), but at any rate, a picture is worth a thousand words:

pyra_phone.png

Last edited:
Why not just use a headset (or handset)?

As someone that wants to use the Pyra for calls and messages, out seems impractical and stupid to try to use it for calls without a headset. Possible? Yes, with the built in mic and speakers, which should be fine if you are alone in a quiet place.

Why not just use a headset (or handset)?.

Well, for me, the idea would be to eventually completely replace my phone with the Pyra, not replace my phone with the Pyra plus something else I have to carry around with me and keep charged. As long as I'm doing that, I might as well just keep my phone.

A wired headset doesn't need to be charged. A side benefit is you get to listen to your music while in public without being a jerk.

I have a set of individual Bluetooth earbuds I use at work for listening to music and making and receiving calls. They're fine, but I can't keep in my ears all the time, and I don't want to have to get them out of their charger case and put them in my ears every time I get a call. And I'd have to have Bluetooth on all the time in case I get a call. I could get a separate wired headset, but then now that's three thing I have to have with me, since I can't have wires hanging off me at work. Plus, I'm not really a fan of headsets anyway. This isn't really that big of a deal, but it's not ideal. I'd like to come up with something better long term, and in the mean time I'll just put my phone in my other pocket.

I understand your point about having to need with a bunch of stuff just to answer a call, but if you carry your Bluetooth thingy anyway how is having a Pyra for calls going to increase the stuff you carry?

There are also little Bluetooth handsets that are basically handheld headsets. They are about the size of a large pen, and have a pocket clip. The one I have vibrates, and you push the button to talk. That would require carrying and charging something extra, however it is small and easier than a headset, especially a wired one that you might have in a case in your pocket. I found out about these things here.

I understand your point about having to need with a bunch of stuff just to answer a call, but if you carry your Bluetooth thingy anyway how is having a Pyra for calls going to increase the stuff you carry? There are also little Bluetooth handsets that are basically handheld headsets. They are about the size of a large pen, and have a pocket clip. The one I have vibrates, and you push the button to talk. That would require carrying and charging something extra, however it is small and easier than a headset, especially a wired one that you might have in a case in your pocket. I found out about these things here.

I work in a loud, dirty environment. So I don't like getting my phone out, and when I do, I can barely hear the caller, and they can barely hear me over the racket. My earbuds are water and dust proof and have an ear bone microphone, so they work well there. For work, at the start of the day I get my earbuds out of their charger, put them in my ears and get them adjusted just right so the ear bone microphone works properly, then I don't worry about them for several hours. Outside of work, I'd have to do that every time I got a call, unless I always had them in my ears, every moment of the day. They're just not practical for taking calls if they're not already in your ears. So I'd need one headset for work, and another for outside of work. I'd prefer a handset to a headset outside of work, but I'd still still have a long term goal of eliminating every besides the Pyra. And I'd just as soon just keep using the phone I already have until then, rather than buying yet another gadget.

But again, this is all just me. Different people want different things from they're devices. For you a handset is a perfectly fine solution, but I'd like something different. And there's an endless supply of people who are just fine with their smartphone, and can't see the point of the Pyra at all. Different strokes for different folks.

I only see one disadvantage the Pyra has as a phone: It's bigger and heavier.
My Smartphone is still more comfortable to carry around.
And this is only a disadvantage as long as I don't carry my Phone and Pandora/Para with me.

Is it such a big deal to look a little weird with an opened-up Pyra on my ear?
For me definitely not.
I mostly use my Phone for Texting or calls alone at home (where I use loudspeakers anyways).

I use an LG bluetooth around the neck head set, with retractable ear buds, I just hang it around my neck; it vibrates when I get a call, I slide the ear bud out, pop it into my ear, press the answer button on the neckpiece, done. I'll still use my phone most likely but this is a solution for those who don't want to use a cell phone also.

Back