Advice Before I Order...

gohmifune

Still Fresh
Ok, so I'm poking around, thinking I'm going to order it this week, and I noticed playasia has it for 169, I've ordered from playasia before(NGPC games), and so far it seems to be the cheapest short of ebay. Thoughts?

Also, what does everyone suggest purchasing with it. Whatever I don't get, I'll get on a second go, I'm thinking just the unit itself, and get the case and strap and AC cable later. I have rechargable battaeries.

And what SD cards do you people use, I want a 2gig. Sandisk seems good, and I saw a good solid card reader of theirs, so you there's compatibility. The card compatibility list is somewhat imcomplete I think, but I have a good idea that basically any real name brand 2gig card will be fine.

And while I'm at it, what is everyone's preferred video setting for pocketdivxencoder a search didn't really give me what I want.

Much thanks to anyone who shares their thoughts.

Well I ordered from play-asia; got my unit well packaged and on time but unfortunately they don't test units... and shipping back to Hong Kong isn't fun. If I ever get my money back, I'll be buying from CraigIX

I have my gp2x from lik-sang, great service.
I also bought an official carrying case, im very happy with it, it's really nice and solid.
I'm using a 2gb sandisk sd card.

I bought from craigix, but I wanted one early so it was my only choice. I bought my TV-Out cable from Lik-Sang, and had no problems.

I have a Viking 1GB SD, works perfectly for everything.

I advise that you buy a DS case (as it'll fit perfectly) and a compatible adaptor, because they'll be cheaper. Whether you want TV-Out is up to you.

On PocketDivXEncoder, the best setting is PDA.

I bought mine from Play-Asia. Arrived from HK to Australia in a week (using Standard registered Airmail). No problems with it at all.

A mate of mine ordered his from Lik-Sang but had a problem with it, so he sent it back and got a working unit after a couple of weeks.

It's horses for courses really (as the saying goes). Everyone will have different experiences with different distributors - some good and some bad.

As for SD cards, I got a good deal on a 2GB Sandisk from ebay. Works with no problems. And a card reader is essential (unless you use Linux).

gohmifune posted on Apr 4 2006 at 05:16 AM said:
Ok, so I'm poking around, thinking I'm going to order it this week, and I noticed playasia has it for 169, I've ordered from playasia before(NGPC games), and so far it seems to be the cheapest short of ebay. Thoughts?

Also, what does everyone suggest purchasing with it. Whatever I don't get, I'll get on a second go, I'm thinking just the unit itself, and get the case and strap and AC cable later. I have rechargable battaeries.

And what SD cards do you people use, I want a 2gig. Sandisk seems good, and I saw a good solid card reader of theirs, so you there's compatibility. The card compatibility list is somewhat imcomplete I think, but I have a good idea that basically any real name brand 2gig card will be fine.

And while I'm at it, what is everyone's preferred video setting for pocketdivxencoder a search didn't really give me what I want.

Much thanks to anyone who shares their thoughts.
I got mine from Play-Asia - I also got the case (and highly recommend it).

For pocketdivxencoder I use the Gemsoc settings then drop the video size to 320x??? depending on the video size. This gives me great looking/sounding videos that are about 3MB a minute.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
I was kinda bummed because early on I paid $105 for a 2 gig card and then recently there was a special for a 4 gig for $110 so of course I got that too. Now I have like 10 gigs in various sized cards, and will be getting a usb adapter to hook up external drives. You can never have too much storage space. I can hook an external 250 gig hard drive I paid like $80 for through the USB cable and have every rom on there plus all kinds of movies and stuff.

For video conversions, I use SUPER© ... it converted everything I've thrown at it and is very easy to use :)

Play-asia has the lowest price, so if you're really tight with money go with them. However, they don't check any of their gp2x's for problems, so you may end up returning it (however, this is unlikely). I bought my gp2x from www.gp32z.com and was pleased with their service, however, i have heard that they have slowed down considerably due to the large number of orders and e-mails they are getting. I think that the most trustworthy place to buy from is www.gp2x.co.uk (craigix) because they test their units and seem to have the best return policy. However, i don't think you can really go wrong getting it from play-asia or gp32z.

I have a 2GB and 1GB SD card. My 2GB card is pqi and my 1GB is viking. They both work fine for normal use. However, only my 1GB works for u-boot firmware upgrades (the way GPH handles them; you can update alternatively with a program on the gp2x archives that seems to support all SD cards).

Another question, what's the screen protector like? Oh, and also is there any real reason to buy an the specific adapter as opposed to a generic one?

gohmifune posted on Apr 5 2006 at 05:21 AM said:
Another question, what's the screen protector like? Oh, and also is there any real reason to buy an the specific adapter as opposed to a generic one?

The screen protector is not a proper screen protector per se, Its really only for protecting the screen during transit whilst being delivered to distributors until it reaches the customer, Just like you find on most new products with screens and shiny plastic parts.

As for a power adaptor, As long as it meets the following requirements, You should have no problems.

3 volts
1.0 Amp
Centre negative polarity

powerplug-negative.jpg

You could use a universal/multi adaptor if you want (which is what i use), As long as it meets the above.

Trooper

Quick question, since no one answered this for me, is the wriststrap worth getting?

gohmifune posted on Apr 11 2006 at 09:55 AM said:
Quick question, since no one answered this for me, is the wriststrap worth getting?

I bought it, its nice, a bit small for my hands, but with a little work it fits around my wrist really well. I've stress tested it a bit, despite the thin wire that attaches it to the GP, it holds it very securely and will not break easily. A nice convenience.

Back