All About Scrolling In Fenix

Racemaniac

Scorched GP programmer
Website
Visit site
I've so far not bothered to start working with scroll, but you once just have to try it, but finding good info is HARD (unless you speak spanish <_< )

i'l open with a little scroll demo with LOTS of comment i just wrote, i hope this'll explain the basics of scrolling a bit, and a little nice bonus is that it also shows how to use a collision map so you can collide with whatever is scrolling (a little modification and you got a basic kuru kuru kururin game :) )

http://users.pandora.be/racemaniac/Fenix/Scroll%20basics.zip

and if you got more useful things to say about scrolling, put them here!!, lets group all the info, lets reduce the difficulty of scrolling to it's use, not to finding out how on earth it works :)

a collision checking object, cause i don't think you can check collision with a scroll
explanation:

Is the only part I don't understand. If I interpreted it right your saying that you can't use map_get_pixel() and a hardness map when your scrolling, but it works fine for me when I do that. Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong... Good explanations of everything though, I think I understand it now.

The only scrolling I used ever was for the MetalSlug tech demo, and I don`t really remember what I did, I`ll take a look at your new version, and if it isn`t in there, I dig up the sources for the foreground and background scrolling...

a collision checking object, cause i don't think you can check collision with a scroll
explanation:

Is the only part I don't understand. If I interpreted it right your saying that you can't use map_get_pixel() and a hardness map when your scrolling, but it works fine for me when I do that. Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong... Good explanations of everything though, I think I understand it now.
yeah, that'll work, but when you got a graphically nice map scrolling you can't check for colors anymore, since it won't be as easy as this little demo map i've got, and you'll need a second map that doesn't show with easy colors, and for actual collision checking it's more than the pixel value at the actual spot that matters

Last edited by a moderator:
in short it's jsut because you can't do something like:
COLLISION (type scroll)
or so, so you have to find other ways to collide with whatever is scrolling :)
and since it'll a seperate mapyou collide with, you can de even better things

Back