Alternative Firmware?

OldSchoolGamer

Still Fresh
I'm aware of the ability to flash the alternative BIOS for GP32 using Mr. Spiv
alternative firmware but has anyone DONE this? If so do you feel it was worth it?
I mean with the big warning about using an alternative firmware are the differences worth taking the chance and could anyone who has let me know? Is it necessay to run emulators etc? :huh:

Likewise... and flashing it makes the move to Wind-ups practical (it loads in less than a second as opposed to the long time needed if you use it as autoload from Pacrom.)

**Very** good bios replacement :)

Yep upgraded here without any probs at all, previously i flahsed to pacrom and just auto-loaded windups, but now it's a joy, loads wind-ups in a second or two and even fixes the wind-up bug for loading compressed fxe's.. good work mr spiv :)

I've used spivs new firmware as well.

If you want to use an alternative system, such as pacrom or Windups as your default start up interface, it's the only way to go (and you can select which one you want any time you boot up as well).

Or, if you just want to get rid of that annoying GP animation and use the regular interface, that's the option as well.

Make sure you read all the information though.. the most important thing is to have FRESH BATTERIES. If it has only partial flashed the bios and your system dies, it's well... dead.

I had no problems though and I've been using the system for several days since I flashed it. If you don't have any real need for the firmware, then don't bother installing it, if you need the features, then I say go for it, it's worth the small risk (which can be minimized or eliminated by proper planning).

Good luck. :)

You guys are great!!!!!! As my name implies i am "oldschoolgamer" having been into since '77 when I first bought the Atari 2600 for about $400!!!!
Anyway, the GP32 is the 1st handheld I'm considering (having owned every home console) and I just want to make the most out of it and maximize all it's capable of, certainly seems better than GameBoy Advance! Lastly, you've all been extremely helpful, ONE LAST QUESTION....
What are "Wind-up's" and is the firmware upgrade needed to run emulator's? :)

'Wind-ups' is the spoof windows GUI for the GP32 which won the ADIC2002 coding contest. It's more than just a spoof, it actually works well (provided you've got it booting with the GP32) and it's really quick to navigate.

I've upgraded too and it's perfect, but I've got one question about Wind-Ups. What's the GP32 palette for .gif images? I'd like to make my own wallpaper, icons and photos for the address book but whenever I save them they come out garbled and/or negative colours. Can anyone lend a hand?

Thanks!

Wind-ups is a GUI coded by Karthur... its vaguely similar to Windows, but not compatible with Windows proggies. Its an interface that looks nice; you can either use it as an auto-run thing from Pacrom, or use mr_spiv's compined firmware to get a faster load-time, which makes it usable (from my POV).

Its worth getting :)

Back