Amarok Arm Build Port... Please ;)

Rayek

Recovering Sega Addict
This is crazy, but while I was searching for some different engines for amaroK, the player I seem to use more often than any other, I found that they already have an ARM build of the player. I think this would be awesome, just because it could satisfy us that desire a visulaizer on the GP2X, not to mention a pretty stable and pretty audio player. I'm sure more goes into it than just popping it into a GP2X, but the ARM version definitely brings us a step closer...

Edit: forgot the link; Debian packages list for amaroK. Too bad their package site is down, but I guess, here's proof.

Amarok certainly is the awesomeness, but most of that awesomeness comes from functions that will never work on the GP2x. Things like the lyrics, musicbrains ID3 and CD cover internet lookup functionality just isn't possible for example.

One of the other great things is the advanced playlist capabilities, again you'd lose most of that if you were to bring it to the GP2x just because the navigation has to be done without a mouse.

Even if it were possible (which I very much doubt it is) to bring it to the GP2x in a reasonable timescale I think you'd not be getting a particularly special media player at the end of it.

If all you want is a visualizer then porting milkdrop might be a better option. Still not easy, but a better option.

I can personally guarantee you that it'd be faster to start from scratch. Amarok uses XWindows and OpenGL pretty heavily, and once you start modifying those you might as well just do something else.

It would be nice, but that's life (and libmad is pretty easy to implement).

I figured.

Lesson learned: Think before posting.

I wonder what ARM-using device could support it? A palm? PocketPC?

Zaurus, Acorn Archmedes machines, modern-day RiscOS machines. Linux ports for modern PDAs as well. The Newton, if it had a Linux port, would also qualify.

The ARM family is used in a hell of a lot of stuff. I still have my developer's kit for the ARM9 kicking around here somewhere.

Back