an official/standard sdk or toolkit.

I hate official SDK's and official toolkits even more. You should always be allowed to use whatever tools you like best, whether that is gcc or GLBasic.

I hate official SDK's and official toolkits even more. You should always be allowed to use whatever tools you like best, whether that is gcc or GLBasic.
An official toolkit doesn't mean you aren't allowed to use other tools.
Sometimes it does mean that (e.g. some Apple stuff IIRC). But even if it doesn't, I still don't see why it would be beneficial to elevate one toolkit to the status of "official", which always means any other toolkit is somehow "deprecated".

I don't understand the question ..
For example Gamepark made and shared their own SDK to the comunity, monster cameron was asking if the Pandora could do this... wich I agree to a certain degree that it should be made as it kinda worked in the past but as _wb_ said it would make other tool kits (that is what an SDK is) deprecated. And I believe that it would make the comunity less motivated and interested in porting or working in other tool kits or game engines. I personally think that things as they are now for the Pandora are good enought.

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote that we put LOAD81 in the next firmware image.  This is a very powerful little SDL-based Lua gaming engine, and it could be used to do a lot of neat things.  I've already built a nub callibrator app for the Pandora with it (its included in the samples), and if this app is run at startup, it would callibrate the nubs with the user automatically:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=LOAD81

Nope, still doesn't make any sense.
Just as the Open Pandora handheld has an official Operating System (firmware), monstercameron is requesting an official Software Development Kit. Some software or tool would be customized to include proper compilers, necessary or popular libraries, useful extensions, and so on. In this respect, it could/would operate as a primary tool for developers, meaning that they are by no means required to use it, but support and usability for the SDK would see an overall increase from the attention brought to it by being "official".

This isn't magical, of course, and I highly doubt that OPT really has the resources to dedicate to producing an SDK, either by modifying an existing IDE or rolling their own. Maybe one of the unofficial developer heroes could step up and make it happen.

Personally, I've not done any development beyond simple compilation on the unit itself, but it seems to me that if we're simply looking for good toolsets then the latest push of Code:Blocks by ptitSeb to the repository fits the bill rather nicely. I am sure it's insufficient for heavier applications, but any developer working on such applications shouldn't have problems finding a decent toolchain to cross-compile with; there is a fair amount of documentation on the options.

It can probably be done by just combining the already available tutorials into one downloadable package including the tools and compilable code examples. Maybe even promote that one the homepage so it's more accessible to people.

Back