Android in a PND Request - Froyo? (2.2-2.2.3)

bluedeer

While it's awesome to have Android for the Pandora using Gingerbread, is it possible to get a version based on Froyo instead? Froyo is a little less system heavy than Gingerbread was, and it might even run better on Sub-1ghz Units. It's also still a relatively relevant version of Android and would be more than sufficient for use for our little Pandy, at least until Pyras come out.

I'm not sure how one would go about compiling a version of Froyo for the Pandoras, but would someone who is be willing to take a stab at it and see if it would be terribly difficult or not?

There is not much love for Android here, I always thought Kitkat was newer and lighter but we just have to be happy with what we got (which I very much am!)

I like Lollipop as well, but the problem is that Android after Gingerbread has become more resource hungry than previous versions. Froyo was used on a lot of budget tablets for a reason, because most of them only had 512MB of Ram or lower end inexpensive chipsets. Considering resources on the Pandora at this point, it might be worth exploring a lighter end version of Android as an alternative if only to gain access to the massive library of Google apps that are available that we can't port over to the Pandora as easily (Thinks like Skype, for example) but will run happily in an Android Environment. While I applaud the current version of Android, I find it still too sluggish and unstable for everyday use.

I like Android too but even on my GHz it's just too sluggish and handicapped (bad wi-fi, no bluetooth etc.) to be an enjoyable experience.

But yeah, Spotify works and so does tapatalk but tbh it's way faster and more convenient to pick up my phone for that... unfortunately...

I too am hoping someone will put effort in getting Android to run on the Pyra.

(bad wi-fi, no bluetooth etc.)
FYI, I just found out that Bluetooth can be made to work in the current Android. By first pairing my controller as an HID in Zaxxon, and then booting into Gingerbread, it continued to recognize the device. Can't test more until I get my unit back, however.

Back