Are there any plans to ensure the Pandora site complies with EU directive 2009/136/EC?

ssokolow

On May 26, enforcement starts for the various laws based on EU directive 2009/136/EC (commonly called "the cookie law"). Given that the Pandora guys are based in Europe, I'd really like to know what measures (if any) are being taken to ensure the website is in compliance.

For those who haven't heard of it, I wrote a blog post about it a few days ago. (I'm behind in one of my courses and have several assignments to complete around the time my Pandora will arrive, so I apologize if my replies are a bit sluggish or brief prior to June 1st.)

hum, is it me or is it a totally unapplicable law that in the end will not protect the user but just allow the corporation with the deepest pocket to close almost any site they don't like?

edit: note that I'm not aware of the details...

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I'm worried about.

The impression I get is that it's a law written by politicians who don't know what they're talking about which tracking companies will work around and legitimate developers and users will, at best, be severely inconvenienced by.

I'm just glad that I don't have to worry about it at the moment, since I'm Canadian and host my sites in the U.S. (I'm very risk-averse and would drive myself into a froth worrying about the what-ifs.)

We had such tries a couple of times in Germany already.

In the end, no one really cared because it's simply not possible, so it would be another one of those laws that exist but no one will really do anything to enforce it.

I probably need to remove the Facebook-Like buttons from the boards here (which no one really used anyways, so not a big deal), but the rest of the full website should mainly be free of any tracking stuff anyways (mostly).

Those kinds of laws always worry me because there's always the chance someone with too much money and too little compassion will find a way to use them against you.

Of course, the fewer Facebook Like buttons kicking around, the better. I hate those things. In fact, I actually had to open up the Store page on iThic.com in my testing copy of Opera because the embed fell prey to my protections against being tracked by Google +1 buttons. (Curse you Google! Why can't you serve things from different subdomains like everyone else!?)

Of course, the fewer Facebook Like buttons kicking around, the better. I hate those things.
You can ask sites to use heise's 2-click solution, which supports Facebook, Google+, and twitter.

I probably need to remove the Facebook-Like buttons from the boards here (which no one really used anyways, so not a big deal), but the rest of the full website should mainly be free of any tracking stuff anyways (mostly).
This forum also attempts to load code from google.com, apparently for integration of Google+.

So that means I should just dump that Facebook Like link over @ithic.com? I just added it last week.

It's a European thing, so you should be fine legally. As for privacy, it's up to you. Mozilla's SocialShare is designed to give you Facebook, Google+, and Twitter buttons without leaking user data.

Back