Arena & Daggerfall

Yes elder scrolls Arena., it's runs reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly slow, to slow to play the game.

Arena runs well enough that you could hope a dosbox update smeday might run it closer to fullspeed on an overclocked Pandora... but just slowly enough that at least I found other games more worthwhile to play for now.

Perhaps the author of the XL Engine is willing to do a Pandora port. However, given the state of the project I expect he wants to focus on finishing the desktop version first. He claims he will do a Linux port and will eventually release the source code (once he is happy with it). At that point it would still need to be ported to OpenGL ES. It may prove to be an alternate route to get Daggerfall working, but don't expect it soon.

Perhaps the author of the XL Engine is willing to do a Pandora port. However, given the state of the project I expect he wants to focus on finishing the desktop version first. He claims he will do a Linux port and will eventually release the source code (once he is happy with it). At that point it would still need to be ported to OpenGL ES. It may prove to be an alternate route to get Daggerfall working, but don't expect it soon.

Yeah, I've been following this project for quite a while now. I am really excited for DaggerXL. I haven't really checked on its progress lately though. I hope everything goes smoothly. ^_^

I really wish that Bethesda would release the source codes for those 2 games (they are freeware BTW). I do remember reading that they lost the source (lol), but I don't know.

When I was testing the max clock on my pandora I tried some more popular games that ran really slow at normal clock to see the comparison. At 1035 mhz I got maybe 5 fps on the system shock floppy version with all the settings at absolute minimum, and maybe 3 or 4 fps on arena. This was a pretty big deal considering that previously they were running at like 2 seconds per frame, but isn't anywhere close to playable.

To be fair I haven't had a lot of luck with dosbox, and it seems that most of the games I'd want to play that aren't too fast (like wasteland for example) are unplayable because you can't seem to switch out of fullscreen mode to look at the necessary reference text.

I really wish that Bethesda would release the source codes for those 2 games (they are freeware BTW). I do remember reading that they lost the source (lol), but I don't know.
The source is gone for Daggerfall, I think I read that on the XL Engine's site and later I read the Arena source was lost also. Bethesda must not do back ups well. Then again as buggy as those games were I think a remake of the engine would be better than having the source anyway. I loved Daggerfall but it kept crashing so I never passed it.

Then again as buggy as those games were I think a remake of the engine would be better than having the source anyway.
Virtually all Bethesda games suffer from this problem. This is why the PC versions of their games are so much better than the console versions, they allow you to install the community-made patches.

Yeah, it wasn't just Daggerfall that was buggy, every game that Bethesda makes is in 'beta' for a few years it is released. I think they are the biggest game company that is like this, their products are never quite finished. I love their games but I usually don't pick them up for at least a year after release.

Oblivion was horribly riddled with bugs the first year and a half it was out. Though by the time I started playing morrowwind that game was pretty well patched.

Back