Arm Netbook Anyone?

You contradict yourself. If they want to get licensees for their designs, they should have at least some ideas in petto, else they would design something that nobody wants. They do think about that stuff even if they don't manufacture by themselves ;)
http://www.arm.com/miscPDFs/23876.pdf

maciek_urbanski said:
mali said:
We should find out, which GPU is used.
Basing on this PDF and fact that USE engine (sometimes incorrectly called 'pipe') is able to store 1 pixel/clock I'd guess that's either:
  • SGX 53x (two dual-issue USE engines) with clock 333MHz (with memory interface 333MHz)
  • SGX 545/555 (four dual-issue USE engines) with clock 166Mhz (with memory interface 166MHz)
I'm betting the latter (are there POP memory modules with 333Mhz ?). B)

How are you getting this? Is it all from the 664mpix/sec, because that says "effective" and "with overdraw". The real value could be anything, maybe 200 or 400 mpix/sec - you did see that the external memory interface is 200MHz right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
maciek_urbanski said:
Basing on this PDF and fact that USE engine (sometimes incorrectly called 'pipe') is able to store 1 pixel/clock I'd guess that's either:
  • SGX 53x (two dual-issue USE engines) with clock 333MHz (with memory interface 333MHz)
  • SGX 545/555 (four dual-issue USE engines) with clock 166Mhz (with memory interface 166MHz)
I'm betting the latter (are there POP memory modules with 333Mhz ?). B)

How are you getting this? Is it all from the 664mpix/sec, because that says "effective" and "with overdraw". The real value could be anything, maybe 200 or 400 mpix/sec - you did see that the external memory interface is 200MHz right?

Yup. That's right. But Imagination Technologies admitted (in form of 'dmdm' user at Beyond3D forum) that their 'overdraw factor' is 3, so if 664mpix/sec would be calculated with overdraw, the 'real' pixel throughput would be 222mpix/sec.
That's about equal the 'real' pixel throughput of Pandora, yet laptop resolution is way bigger.
And there are no POP memories that are handling 222MHz.
BTW you're right - I've overlook that it will have 200MHz memory.
At the same time - Imagination Technologies claims on their webpage, that 520 (1USE), 53x (2USE) are for small devices, and 54x (4USE) are for bigger ones.
As vertex throughput is twice bigger is blatantly points to 2x more USEs.
So I'm guessing 54x (which can work @ 166MHz on 200MHz memory bus).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back