Arm Releases Highly Optimized Media Code

Nice but using the DSP is the best way to go, most likely. Although this might be more of an accessible option.

Exophase said:
Nice but using the DSP is the best way to go, most likely. Although this might be more of an accessible option.
Exactly. Codecs optimized for the DSP would be ideal, but this ARM code will likely give us full speed HD h.264 playback right off the bat. Depending on how efficient it is, it might not even be worth the trouble of making DSP-based codecs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
Depending on how efficient it is, it might not even be worth the trouble of making DSP-based codecs.

Battery life? :)

Tinnus said:
Chip said:
Depending on how efficient it is, it might not even be worth the trouble of making DSP-based codecs.

Battery life? :)
Hence the "Depending on how efficient." If the power savings of DSP-native codecs over ARM-native codecs is only 10-15%, then it might not be worth the effort of re-writing them specifically for the DSP. I have no idea how much processing power the ARM code uses, how much less power DSP code might use, or just how much of a chore re-writing the codecs would be. That's why I was sure to qualify the statement :D

Chip said:
Exophase said:
Exactly. Codecs optimized for the DSP would be ideal, but this ARM code will likely give us full speed HD h.264 playback right off the bat. Depending on how efficient it is, it might not even be worth the trouble of making DSP-based codecs.

Exactly what I was thinking when I ran across the article. Sure, the ideal goal is to fully utilize the OMAP3 platform in the most efficient manner...but in the meantime, we can use some of the power from the Cortex-A8 core to handle multimedia :).

Back