Atari Lynx Wiki Crap

RyokoSparda

Still Fresh
I've just been reading Wikipedia to see what handheld might be good to get next and I started reading the entries for machines I already have when I came accross this on the Atari Lynx wiki.

"The Lynx holds the distinction of being the world's first handheld electronic game with a color LCD display. "

I just thought I would bring that to everyones attention as I am sure it's wrong?.

RyokoSparda said:
I've just been reading Wikipedia to see what handheld might be good to get next and I started reading the entries for machines I already have when I came accross this on the Atari Lynx wiki.

"The Lynx holds the distinction of being the world's first handheld electronic game with a color LCD display. "

I just thought I would bring that to everyones attention as I am sure it's wrong?.
The Atari Lynx was the first to have a color LCD on a portable hand held gaming system. I bought one when they first came out and ended up with owning four of them at one time. I still remember the excitement and thrill. The Game Gear was the second with a color LCD. The only other portable at the time was the Original "Pea Green Screen" Game Boy. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
darkman said:
RyokoSparda said:

The Atari Lynx was the first to have a color LCD on a portable hand held gaming system. I bought one when they first came out and ended up with owning four of them at one time. I still remember the excitement and thrill. The Game Gear was the second with a color LCD. The only other portable at the time was the Original "Pea Green Screen" Game Boy. :)

Yeah, I bought one when they came out, wicked and I still love it today.

It was the first colour portable gaming system, although it's not really that portable :)

There was also the pc engine gt around the same time.

Yeah I know what you mean about it being portable. I still have three of the Lynx 2. You actually hold it in your hands, not like today's modern portables in which you hold them with your fingers. You actually get a grip on the Lynx.
The PC Engine GT or Turbo Express hit the market about the time of the Game Gear in 1990. They saw themselves as competitors with Sega. Really all three were somewhere within the general time frame, Atari just beat them to the market, 1989. Turbo Express was and still is my favorite. I still play my Lynx 2 also, and love it now just as much as I did then.

RyokoSparda said:

That is right. The Lynx was also the first *home console* to do hardware sprite scaling too.

DaveC said:
RyokoSparda said:

That is right. The Lynx was also the first *home console* to do hardware sprite scaling too.

True enough - technically, the Lynx was arguably the most powerful console available on release... The "low res" screen didn't really support that assertion, but it was a pretty inspiring bit of gamin kit in its day. I bought the California Games pack with a couple friends on release, and between CG, Afterburner - oops! I mean "Blue Lightning" :) - Gauntlet, Todd's Adventures in Slime World and Chip's Challenge, we got a hell of a lot of play time on those systems...

Back