Audio Connector Pinout

peca

Website
Visit site
MWeston said:
The headphone jack is the standard 3.5mm and is on the front. It supports tip-ring-ground for normal audio usage and tip-ring-ring-ground for headsets with a built in microphone.
I have PC stereo headset and I like to make adapter to connect it to my Pandora. It has red and green jacks, both tip-ring-ground. I don't know how microphone is wired for sure, but find some description that tip and ring is connected together. I just need approve if Pandora have microphone wired to the tip or ring. So, if it is mic-left-right-ground or left-right-mic-ground? Oh, and if somebody know wiring PC headset microphone, I'll glad see assurance or explanation.

I expect full Pandora (including ext connector) pinout later, but I like make this small piece of work just now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
peca said:
MWeston said:
The headphone jack is the standard 3.5mm and is on the front. It supports tip-ring-ground for normal audio usage and tip-ring-ring-ground for headsets with a built in microphone.
I have PC stereo headset and I like to make adapter to connect it to my Pandora. It has red and green jacks, both tip-ring-ground. I don't know how microphone is wired for sure, but find some description that tip and ring is connected together. I just need approve if Pandora have microphone wired to the tip or ring. So, if it is mic-left-right-ground or left-right-mic-ground? Oh, and if somebody know wiring PC headset microphone, I'll glad see assurance or explanation.

I expect full Pandora (including ext connector) pinout later, but I like make this small piece of work just now. :)

A lot of PC mics use a full set of TRS - or TRG as you all are calling it. basically, since the mic is mono it just needs to use two contacts for data sending and ground, so it uses the third for power draw (usually +5v I believe) that it can use as the signal to modulate.
So I'm wondering if you can use an adapter for this?
Maybe certain mics don't need the voltage (I don't see how?) but then again I don't know how headsets work. I'm thinking this is probably why headsets w/ mics are typically mono - they use one contact for headphone, 2 for mic, and share a ground.
I qualify this with an IANAEE (I am not an electrical engineer).

rabidpoobear said:
I'm thinking this is probably why headsets w/ mics are typically mono - they use one contact for headphone, 2 for mic, and share a ground.
I might be entirely mistaken, but the way I read it, I think peca is referring to those headsets that are basically DJ-style stereo headphones with a microphone attached to one side, with separate plugs for both the headphones and the microphone (they usually have the red and green jacks that were mentioned :p).

Alas, I'm afraid I know nothing about this sort of thing, so there's nothing I can suggest. I'd certainly love to know whether it would be possible to plug in separate headphones and microphone in much the same fashion, though.

Prometheus said:
I might be entirely mistaken, but the way I read it, I think peca is referring to those headsets that are basically DJ-style stereo headphones with a microphone attached to one side, with separate plugs for both the headphones and the microphone (they usually have the red and green jacks that were mentioned :p).
Indeed.

MWeston said:
This page has some good visuals: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/20...5mm-pinouts.php
Pandora is like the first group (Archos, Gigabeat, etc...) except replace Video with Microphone.

Thanks. And one more question. When headphones are used then is wired as G-R-L or G-L-R (in Sleeve, Tip, Ring order)? IIRC there is autodetection mechanism for connected device (headphones, headset, handsfree).

For explanation, by "headphones" I mean standard stereo headphones or earphones, by headset I mean Stereo headphones (earphones) with microphone, and by handsfree I mean mono (ear)phone with microphone.

Whitch wirings are right? (First, I know, but others?)
CODE

__ (mic + stereo phones)
|---.---.---.--\
| G | M | R | L |>
__|---'---'---'--/

__ (stereo phones) __
|---.---.--\ |---.---.--\
| G | R | L |> or | G | L | R |>
__|---'---'--/ __|---'---'--/

__ (mic + mono phone) __
|---.---.--\ |---.---.--\
| G | M | P |> or | G | P | M |>
__|---'---'--/ __|---'---'--/

I am curious about wiring remote button, similiar as mobile headsets/handsfree has. I guess that this is made by shorting mic to ground or so. Can Pandora handle this? (I guess this is question for MWeston)

Apologize my English, but I'm not skilled in proficiency terms (especially electrical engineering). I hope that my post is understandable.

Prometheus said:
rabidpoobear said:
I'm thinking this is probably why headsets w/ mics are typically mono - they use one contact for headphone, 2 for mic, and share a ground.

Right, that was my point. I am pretty sure that to get stereo + mic you need a tip-ring-ring-ring-sleeve not just a tip-ring-ring-sleeve connector. Because mics aren't powered. They get the power through the connector.
It depends on the kind of mic it is though. Some don't need this.
I'm referring to this, which wikipedia describes:
"[trs connector can be used for] Microphone input (mono, sometimes with 5v power available on the ring. Note that traditional, incompatible, use of a stereo plug on a microphone is for balanced output)"
In other words, if his mic depends on the 5v to work, he won't be able to find an adapter. He'll have to draw 5v from the USB or something. If his mic doesn't need the 5v, he could make his own adapter to go from 2 trs's to 1 trrs.
That's all I'm sayin'.
I hope that's more clear.

Aye, it is. Thanks much. :) I misunderstood your original posting. :lol:

I found page Connecting microphones to PC soundcards (automatic translation from Czech). So I guess that connecting PC headset to Pandora will bee easy work now - just connect tip and ring on mic jack together.

But I'm still curious abut wiring handsfree button. It's not crucial, but may be useful as simple remote control. I can imagine play/pause (less 500 ms) for short press (up to 1 s), track skip for long press (up 2 s) and power off/suspend for very long press (over 3 s).

peca said:
But I'm still curious abut wiring handsfree button. It's not crucial, but may be useful as simple remote control. I can imagine play/pause (less 500 ms) for short press (up to 1 s), track skip for long press (up 2 s) and power off/suspend for very long press (over 3 s).
OK, I google a little and find out, that handsfree button for receive/end incoming call is made simply as shorting microphone to ground. I'll try measure Nokia stereo handsfree for my wife's phone. There is just one more question: can Pandora detect this (shorting microphone or other audio wire to ground)?

Back