Audio Problems And Other Questions

Smugmunky

Still Fresh
Weeeell, here goes...

I encoded an avi to xvid using Virtualdub...seemed to work fine, using the exact setting used in the guide to encoding here: http://www.btinternet.com/%7Ewaystation/gpcin.html

So I put it on the GP, and the video works fine, but the audio doesn't work properly, it's very very jerky, but seems to work better on higher clockspeed. Also, as the file was only about 30M (about 5 mins of vid) I tried making the settings better on both the audio and the video...but GPcinema won't oen that video, it doesn't do anything when I click on it...

Anyway, I just want to know how I can improve the sound (i'm not bothered about making the file size larger, this is just testing for good settings) and also:

Anyone recommend me to or link me to some good DVD ripping software (easy to use)?

Cheers

You could try turning down the audio quality - sometimes helps. Or possibly making sure you're using a CBR compressor (LAME VBR, for instance, is probably not a good idea to use). Or alternatively, try turning the bitrate (or framerate if you're using, say, 22 fps) of the video down, since its the total bitrate, I think, that matters to a fair degree. Though I could be wrong.

Quick fix, though, just turn up the clockspeed a ways :)

EDIT: Oh, and btw, its the size of the file that's actually causing the problem - at lower clockspeeds, it just can't stream off the data fast enough. 30M for 5 mins is HORRIBLE; you should, without too much difficulty, be able to get it all down to roughly 1 meg per min, with everything seemng pretty darn good quality-wise (The Finding Nemo that I have is 121mb, runs at 17fps, looks like a DVD due to screen size, sounds almost perfect, is in stereo, and is the entire film)

I'm encoding on a 2 pass...but the file won't go below 20 Meg, and it's on 17fps and fairly regular settings. I've added you to MSN, could you help me run through it? If not then no problem, i'm still fiddling with various things. Its watchable on 166Mhz, but there must be some way of getting it right.

It's just a test before I rip some of my Red Dwarf DVD's for Holiday flight to the US...heh

EDIT::: I got the sound running smoothly enough, but theres still some interference in the background, and to do it I took the bitrate down to 600 ish on a 1 pass CBR...

Any extra help would be greatly apprieciated. Oh, and does anyone know of any programs which can consistently convert .wmv and quicktime movies (.mov) into .avi?

30mb for 5min is a LOT

When I encode a tv/anime episode which is about 21min, I never go past 26mb (20~21mb for vid (~1mb/min) and audio at 32kbit 22,050khz mono (4k/s))

You gotta give more slack on the video side, 600kbps is a lot for gp32_console. If you follow that guide exactly, you wont have problems at all.

Yeah, I know, I was just trying to get decent quality on it. Figured that it was actually the video data that was dragging the processor down, thus making the audio poor quality. Sorted it now though, thanks to alot of help from Tobriand. Cheers again mate.

Back