Authentication problems

stefrobb

Still Fresh
Just bought a GP32, an impulse buy and I'm starting to regret it!

First off I didn't do any research and had no idea that the unit needed registering/authenticating, my fault.

But, I've been searching the Internet today and have go this far:

Been to english.gamepark.com, signed up, download the USB driver and installed it OK, downloaded the PC-Link host (1.2) and installed OK. I can use the PC-Link application to transfer MP3 files and they play OK, games transfer but are ignored.

I also downloaded the gpreg.exe application and it is this that is causing the problems. For a start the "manual" that is available bears no resemblance to the actual program, the manual talks of installation steps yet the executable can be run "right out of the zipfile."

Anyway, when I run gpreg.exe the first thing it does is bring up a dial-up window (yup, still stuck at 56K!), this is fine since it connects OK. After this a standard Windows message box with the "critical" icon but no text or title appears, and only an "OK" button. When I click this button my entire PC locks, Ctrl-Alt-Del has no effect and the PC need to be rebooted. Im using W98 (first edition).

So far this is just an expensive MP3 player, and I've already got one of those. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've read various FAQs and posts on other forums, I've also read "simple" startup guides, nothing that I've seen covers this error.

Thanks for any help,
Stef

Well, after spending most of today attempting to register it seems that all you have to is /post/ to this forum and suddenly everything works!

Not 20 minutes after I posted my original message I tried the gpreg.exe application again and everything worked perfectly, I now have my copy of Free Launcher.

So, it's voodoo but it works!
Stef

There are ways to register without the official site - through IRC or with a downloadable program.

I was about to go into detail but it's good to see that you've automagically got it working! Hope you enjoy your GP32!

- Rico

Ditto - I hope you enjoy it and don't regret your decision once you get everything going. It's a wonderful machine with lots of fun things to keep one busy!

I am glad you got it to work. I think their website is just screwy. I had a very similar thing happen when I did this. I went through the steps, but didn't download the freelauncher program. WHen I went back to get it it didn't let me download. I just tried again a couple hours later and it worked fine.

Back